Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
2015 13" MBPr A1502

I am wondering if this is normal since I occasionally lose internet service even though showing full wifi bars—
When I click on the wifi bars in the top menu bar the first line is always grayed out. It says "Wi-Fi:" and then continuously cycles between ": On" and "Looking for Networks...", each showing for about 3 seconds. Is this the way it is supposed to operate?

I've had this and other issues before and after having this MBPr repaired by Apple a month ago, 3 hours online with Apple support, two visits to Genius bar including a 90 minute visit two days ago.... I was told yesterday that the above situation is normal, but I'm not quite buying it. Can anyone confirm that theirs is [not] doing the same. Thanks!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does this happen at multiple locations? And are those locations different setups, i.e. not all Starbucks, home, etc.?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just checked a mid-2013 13" MBA and an early 2015 13" MBA and they both do the same thing without dropping the internet connection at home or free wi-fi locations.

Edit: checked a mid-2010 15" MBP running High Sierra and it also does the same thing but does not drop wi-fi connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: VintageMac

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Does this happen at multiple locations? And are those locations different setups, i.e. not all Starbucks, home, etc.?
Yes, happening at home now. Happened during our travels the past 3 months. At first I thought it was only happening when not connected to wifi, but then noticed it is cycling all the time.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

When you are experiencing the problem, is there anything plugged into the USB ports?

Could it be electromagnetic interference from the USB3? (it happens)

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
OP:

When you are experiencing the problem, is there anything plugged into the USB ports?

Could it be electromagnetic interference from the USB3? (it happens)

Nothing is plugged into the USB port. I dropped it off a the Apple Store again for repair last evening....

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Got it back from Apple today and it is working fine. They did replace the screen which wasn't really necessary in my opinion. Since I didn't get many responses to my original question I checked a few of the laptops at the Apple Store and they were all doing the same thing as mine— grayed out "Wifi" cycling through "On" and "Looking for Networks."

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Got it back from Apple today and it is working fine. They did replace the screen which wasn't really necessary in my opinion. Since I didn't get many responses to my original question I checked a few of the laptops at the Apple Store and they were all doing the same thing as mine— grayed out "Wifi" cycling through "On" and "Looking for Networks."

I saw some threads on the Apple forums saying the same thing. Some threads mentioned it was look for other networks as one moves either in the same location with multiple wifi hotspots, or in multiple locations. No one seem to have concrete explanation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.