Looking for new camera system: Sony vs Nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mousemd, Sep 4, 2011.

1. mousemd macrumors member

So I used to shoot with a Canon 7D; then my gear was stolen along with all my expensive lenses. I'm left with my t2i and the kit lens. So, here is a perfect opportunity to start over with a brand new system. I've been eyeing Nikon for a long time. I originally wanted to try and go full frame, but most of the Nikon systems are a few years old (as are Canon's). I know that updates are probably planned for 2012, but I don't think I can bear to wait THAT long for a replacement.

I was going to go with the D7000, but then Sony announced their new a77 camera. Specs alone sound so nice (yes I have read about the ISO issues and I don't believe all the hate as it's based on pre-release firmware). However, it is untested and "new tech." Plus, I am not too sure on the glass. I do like the autofocus video (which a big plus for me (3kids).

I went to the sony store and played with the other alpha cameras and thought to myself, I am not too sure about the controls, so I was going to order the d7000. But now I am having second thoughts again.

What do I shoot? Kids, portraits (personal not professional), random vistas and stuff. In the end, I'm sure that whatever I chose is really going to be more of a personal choice rather than specs driving the decision. Still, I haven't seen much talk about d7000 vs a77 in the internet PLUS I value mac-heads' opinions being one myself. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

------------------------
    i7 imac, macbook pro 13, macbook air 13, ex canon 7d owner, canon t2i

2. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Updates of Nikon pro cameras are right around the corner, they'll likely be announced this month! I'd definitely wait out for that.
    Unless you have special needs that warrants very particular lenses, any system gives you high-quality lens options. I don't think I need to convince you Nikon lenses are good, so I'll just add that Sony gives you access to lots of high quality lenses as well (e. g. Zeiss lenses specifically made for Sony dslrs). A friend of mine who uses an older Sony alpha also told me that there are tons of cheap lenses (but good) on the used market.
    Smart move. Trust your instincts: being able to control your camera is 100x more important than `15 % better image quality'.

I have a Nikon D7000 and it's a marvelous camera. It's absolutely amazing, I can easily shoot up to ISO 3200. The AF is speed and accurate (but it is complex since you have a lot of options to configure it). The AF system of my D700 has enabled me to get more keepers since it's no longer a gamble whether the focus is exactly where I want it to be. The construction is great (although probably a step back from your 7D).

3. sapporobaby, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

WHAT !!!!!!!!!

Did you miss the earthquake, and massive nuclear catastrophe in Japan? Please provide a link that Nikon is going to release new products this year, factually I mean. We are all speculating. If you have the inside track and can share it, please do so. Maybe you missed this too, but many of their parts are produced in the highly radioactive regions of Japan. I've been waiting for the upgrade to the D3S but it's not coming this year. I could be wrong and would love to be.

Moving along, which camera do you have? A D7000 or a D700, or both. You mention them both.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Both Nikon and Canon are mostly back up to speed with production now. They were impacted heavily by the earthquake, but by now most of the damage is fixed. Nikon did just release a new point and shoot not too long ago, so don't think that they would have to delay a release because of the earthquake.

The new product releases is all up to speculation now, but he did link to some rumors in his post. That doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen, but it is likely something will.

5. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hi. I will give it a go. After speaking to several high end camera shops, and camera firms, it does not look like Canon nor Nikon will have any releases to their pro kit. I am currently using a D3S that I bought last year and I can't wait for the D4S/X or whatever it will be call. I will give my D3S to my daughter.

If you like to shoot fast, and in low light, nothing Canon makes can touch the D3S. Nothing. Nothing Sony makes comes close. The problem most likely has to do with their lens and mirror system. I have read that because it let's in more light, it does not handle low light well. There are many articles about this on the net so you can find what you need there.

I am using the video function often with my D3S but it is not autofocus, however it is not hard to use. My daughter has a D3100 and has a better video autofocus system (she loves to rub it in by the way :) )but again, I have adapted focusing and zooming manually.

I am biased towards Nikon simply for the lens quality. I am running with the "trinity": 14-24mm, f2.8, 24-70mm, f2.8, 70-200mm, f2.8. Many Canon shooters agree that these are probably the best lenses on the market at the moment. In the end it comes down to money and needs.

Good luck.

----------

True they were impacted but many of the special parts are not back and up to speed. This could include the sensors, lens elements, etc... While at a conference in Seattle, I happened into a local camera shop where some Nikon guys were in explaining not to expect anything serious (I took that to mean Pro) until Q1 2012. The released point and shoot was in the pipeline a while back around the time of the quake. Personally I don't think anything will come soon as do many of the pros I've spoken to as well as Nikon and Canon shops. I would love to be proven wrong as would my daughter (she gets my D3S). My credit card is all ready for whatever Nikon delivers.

6. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

@sbaby: He provided a link at the end of the first sentence. Go to Nikonrumors.com for more. Thom Hogan has made similar predictions. Regardless, Nikon will be having a press event in Vienna on the 21st of September (coinciding with one in Milan) that is expected to be the forum for a mirrorless camera announcement, with other announcements expected on or around the same date.

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I live on that site and have heard all the rumors. The key that puts it off to me is that while the major components may be shipping in large quantities, the minor ones that are critical are supposedly missing. You might have 95% of a camera but if the sensors and some other crucial components aren't there, you are back at square one. Only a production camera that someone can buy is considered delivered. Sooooo we are back to rumors. Thom has a decent track record but unless he is sitting inside of Nikon, personally, I will go with the gents I spoke with regarding the supply chain. Hope they prove me wrong. I am not against getting a new camera.

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

No, I haven't.
    Nikon has announced new Coolpix cameras last month. And they have sent out invites for events in September in various countries (e. g. Italy and Austria), e. g. the Nikon in White event in Vienna -- which means they're announcing something.

It is widely expected that they announce some sort of mirrorless camera and a dslr. If you look at the supply of pro bodies and the check which bodies have been updated recently, it's likely they'll announce an update to one or several pro dslrs. I'm not saying it is necessarily a full frame body, it could very well be the D400 (upgrade to the D300s with the sensor of the D7000).

El Cabong, by the way, has provided a more valuable link than I have: Thom Hogan is a more reliable source of information.

9. mousemd thread starter macrumors member

Wow...thanks for all the replies. I too have become a fly on these rumor sites (both nikonrumors and sonyalpharumors). I used to be a canon rumors follower but I've decided to switch systems (see my OP). In either case, I'll wait and see what the end of the month brings from Nikon. I think I would be perfectly happy with an APC camera for now. I know I was thinking about moving to full-frame, but I don't think I could justify the extra $1000 that such a system would cost me as an amateur/pro-sumer. I would still need to invest in the glass no matter what system I choose and my wife couldn't see how I can splurged $5-6k on a system that I would use just to "play." Although I always justify it by saying, "but honey, the kids are just kids for such a short period of time." :D:D

I am still VERY close to just calling my dealer and buying a nikon d7000. The only thing holding me back are the specs of the alpha 77.

Rumors are rumors though...and we'll see what the end of Sept brings, but it sounds more like Nikon EVL/mirrorless system.

10. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

I haven't researched deeply into Sony cameras. But as far as I understand, a major difference Sony has to offer these days is their semi-transparent mirror. If you use live view a lot, this technology might be worth looking into. It is supposed to offer faster AF on live view mode (for both still and video) and higher fps.

How it actually performs in real life, I have no experience.

I have had the D7000 for a couple weeks. No reservation in recommending the D7000. Fantastic.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Canon 7D and Nikon D7000 are so close. Either would fit your needs. Difference is D7000 has dual card slots. With that said, perhaps Canon next release will have dual card slots.

These brands are tops for me because you have more lenses to choose from.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When I first heard about dual SD slots, it seemed like a pointless feature. Once I learned that you can use it to write parallel data to both cards... and remembering one day when I had a flash card failure, it was the prime reason that I decided on the D7000 over the D5100.

/Jim

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

yeah I thought it was pointless until I thought .. what if I'm shooting RAW or videos? I'm actually waiting to move to D7000. Gotta sell my D90 first. But I remember shooting at a music fest and card was getting full and I forgot to carry my bag. So I had to rush back to the second stage, to retrieve my cards.

Plus I like the idea of having more options :)

14. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Great glass trumps bodies. :) I hear you with the decision process. I decided that I want what I want and got the D3S. I traded up from a D300S. I do have to admit that I love the full frame though. It is hard to go back to shooting DX after shooting FX.

----------

I'm going to put an x in your column and hope that you are correct. I do with Nikon well and hope that they can deliver something soon. I am not a fan of their Coolpix camera though. I feel the G12 from Canon is probably one of the best P&S cameras on the market. Sony also makes a decent P&S with built in geo-tagging features. Fingers crossed for a big Nikon announcement.

----------

Bingo. This is a handy feature. I do not use it often in parallel however I use it when shooting video. While CF cards are nice, I would prefer that my D3S had SD cards slots that could use the new SD cards.

15. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

It would be worth getting your hands on an A77 before you make the decision even if it is just to clarify your thoughts. Once you're with a system it is hard to turn back. I used to be a Sony/Minolta user and here are my thoughts on the system:

The handling of my old A700 and the A850/900 is fantastic, I use a 5DII now and it doesn't compare. The lenses are great (particularly Zeiss and G) and there are plenty of used Minolta lenses around many of which are great and cheap (google Minolta beercan). There is also a great user community - take a look at Dyxum. On the downside it isn't heavily supported for accessories. The flash shoe design is unique and although it works well, getting your flash mounted off camera or using wireless triggers can be a real pain. There are work arounds but they are just that. It is the same with lenses. The range is smaller than that of Canon or Nikon but they do have all the important ones covered. Finally the upgrade path is limited if you intend to reach a high level in your photography. The chances of Sony introducing a range of pro level cameras seem unlikely.