Looking for new computer setup, some options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NavySEAL6, Jan 26, 2009.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I have an aging macbook pro, and while its snappy for internet and such, the hard drive is almost filled (lots of music) and its basically time for a new computer. My options are as follows:
    1) I'm not sure if this is even possible but get a nice iMac where I can do my heavy computing and keep all my media. Is it possible to set up something server-esque so I can stream all my music, movies etc to my laptop while keeping the laptop totally empty to keep it running fast. I would do a fresh install on my mbp and basically use it as a couch only kinda thing. Also if I did this, how easy would it be to keep computers in sync with things such as word documents
    2) Same scenario, but sell my mbp and replace it with a netbook running os x just because I love how small they are, so I can do the lazy guy with the netbook, then my computing with an iMac

Is this possible, and what are your recommendations?

2. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

Well, if you are using your mbp as a couch computer streaming your music from the iMac would be really easy over the network. In itunes on the iMac under preferences->sharing just check the box that says share my library on my local network. For movies, you could just turn file sharing on via the Utilities and add your movies folder on the imac to the shared folders list. For syncing up your word documents, spreadsheets, etc. you could use a program like Sugar Sync. Hope this helps.

3. macJC50640 macrumors regular

4. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Sorry the quote thing got all messed up. I am a newbie.:eek:

5. NavySEAL6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will the iMac be able to steam media over the net, even if the computers are on different wifi networks. ex: my imac is at home and my mbp is at my friends house..can i still stream anything?