Looking for new External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stilface, May 9, 2011.

1. Stilface macrumors member

My external hard drive, is coming up to 3 years old now, and has been amazing so far. However I think its time for me to upgrade to something a little bigger.

I'm looking for a 1TB External Drive, with Firewire800 Compatibility. Apple are backing the LaCie range, but I've been reading some bad reviews about their reliability.

Could anyone recommend a product and/or manufacturer?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Western Digital My Book Studio I (not II) edition, I have a dozen at work and two at home and none failed yet, but HDDs are bound to fail sometime.

And then there is this guide by thegoldenmackid, which is a bit older, but may still help:
    External Hard Drives

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No platter based hard drive is more reliable than any other. Buy the one with the best warranty for your budget.

4. micahPRT macrumors newbie

5. Stilface thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, I'll take a look!

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'd look into getting a really nice enclosure (spend a bit on it). Try OWC. Then buy an internal drive to put into it. That way you can keep the nice enclosure through the years and replace the drive inside as desired for more space. Drive-wise, I'd recommend Western Digital or Seagate.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

OWC's Mercury Elite-AL Pro. Very study, and you can replace the drive when it becomes "too small". I've got five of them, three run 24/7. I've basically retired all my old Western Digital and Seagate externals, although I still use a couple of Lacie drives for backups.

8. jljue macrumors regular

I have an older Seagate 1 TB HDD that has FW800 ports on it, but I've started using this MacAlly case from Newegg and installing my own HDDs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347025. Like most FW800 enclosures, it is a little pricy compared to USB and eSATA only counterparts, but it seems to be fast and reliable.

9. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa