Looking for new Garageband Instruments

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bethany-Wings, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bethany-Wings macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

I'm looking to see if I can find any good instruments that are...well...sweet, mystical, and gentle. Violins, interesting synths, and even choir sounds. THOSE I would like. Is there anything I could buy or download (even to TRY) to get those sort of things? I don't want loops...I want the instruments. I want to compose songs, and they ALL consist of those different sort of instruments. Oh...and even bagpipes and new sweet flutes and panflutes (if it's possible to get in the same package as the others). THAT would be nice.

Anyone know of anything GOOD to get that from? I was told the JamPacks aren't that great...help?

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

What's your budget? The Apple JamPacks aren't ultra-high end samples, but they're usable (for some projects) and they're reasonably priced.

Garageband itself isn't exactly the "high-end" solution. Moving (at least) to Logic Express would allow for better productions, etc. However, you should be able to find lots of options if you search for "garageband software instruments" at Google, but here's a few examples:

Free samples: There are tons of free samples available on various sites in the SoundFont format. You can use some SoundFonts in Garageband -- others may work correctly, or work at all. Google "using soundfonts in gargageband" for more info. In general, Soundfont samples sound decent but aren't top notch.

Shareware samples: Ben Boldt's Garageband/Logic software instrument collections are samples of various acoustic instruments. Most were apparently made by converting SoundFont samples, so the quality of the samples aren't ultra-fidelity but they're useable. You should be able to find more shareware collections by Googling...

Commercial samples: Many samples available for virtually anything (if you're willing to pay the price). One could easily end up spending a small fortune to obtain a good sample library along with the high-end computer (or computers) needed to play back everything in realtime at 24-bit, 96k, etc. For example, a 24-bit stereo symphony orchestra library with lots of different articulations might cost $1200 and require a MacPro to use it fully. The sky's the limit...

3. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i recommend buying logic studio. it's $500 which is a little pricey but totally worth it if you're serious about making music on your mac. it comes with all the apple jam packs and it has great synthesizers.