Looking for new headphones: Astro a40 vs Turtle Beach PX5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by born4sky, Sep 9, 2011.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Hello, forum ... so I am looking to get wireless headphones. I just head a daughter and cant playing loud anymore. So let me know what do you think.

Turtle Beach PX 5

Astro a40

2. mfr1340 macrumors regular

px5 are great

i got them as soon as they came out, I love them. great quality.

3. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

4. Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

I always suggest to my friends to check out this site for a lot of great reviews and information about the headsets you can get, you'd be surprised how much money you can save and still get an awesome set of Cans.

I've owned a lot of headphones, Astro and Turtlebeach are popular right now and nice cans, but check out some of the equally priced Shures, Sennheisers, or Bayers.

My 2c

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Astro. Although wireless headphones suck. If you are sitting too far to use them, I don't know. If you aren't, get the Astro headset with the mixamp.

6. sumone macrumors regular

I haven't used either so I can't give an objective opinion. From what I have read and heard they each have some advantages and disadvantages. What I like about the PX5 is that they include programmable modes and allow you to listen to music or answer a phone call while using them kind of like how the iPhone will interrupt your music if you get a phone call. I'm not sure if the Astros also have this feature but I do know that the Astro mix amp has been praised as a superior device. My advice would be to check out the website Darius posted and maybe look at some youtube videos of comparisons.

7. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

thanks everyone for their opinion, most likely I will convince my wife to get astro for the cristmas.. ))

8. ThemacNub macrumors regular

I have turtle beaches (x41's), i would only recommend them if you absolutely need wireless headphones. I needed to because people and pets are always walking in front of me; if situations were ideal i would have got a40s

9. cdte92 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't recommend the x41s for music as they crackle. The a40s don't and offer much better sound quality - however, I only use mine for gaming. Can't comment on how good they would be for music. I use the wireless mix amp with mine. Would recommend the combination of that and the a40s

10. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Mine don't crackle unless im a fair way from the amp with walls in the way

11. cdte92 macrumors newbie

I might have just had a faulty set then!

Mine crackled all the time and I was only sitting a few feet away from the transmitter. However, my wireless router and a lot of other computer equipment was in the same room so it could have been interference from any of that. However, the A40s with the wireless mixamp have never suffered from any of that interference

12. ThemacNub macrumors regular

You must have been unlucky as my TBs are in the same room as my wireless modem, ipod, macbook and imac and i have no interference.

13. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

14. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The problem is that I think he wants wireless ones which, unfortunately, are the worst kind you can buy in terms of sound quality.

Personally I think he should get some Sennheiser 555s if he wants to stay under 100 and a portable mic or something.

15. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I have a baby... I dont want to add extra wires, because if my baby trips over them I will be hanged ;)

16. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

head-fi.org is a fantastic resource for all things headphones...