Looking for new headphones for video editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bki122689, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

I'm looking for new headphones so that I could use it to edit my videos with and occasionally listen to music with.

Any recommendations that is not to hard on the wallet?

LOL the Dr. Dre Headphones cost 300 at the apple store. 0_o

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Seinhauser

Seinhauser (sp?) HD21 or any above $100 are going to be great.
    I miss my old HD21's.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've been using Sennheiser HD 280 for a couple years now and I love them. They can be kinda tight if you have a wide head though. The Sony 7506's are basically industry standard, but I didn't like the way they sounded when I demo'd a pair.

Lethal

4. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Have had sennheiser hd265s for couple of years.
    Dig them but they have the "senheiser" problem with the replaceble contacts/cabling that in the earparts looses contact after a while and you have to "reseat" the clips.
    It is a slight nuisance.Weird that I have come across that on 2 different pair of sennheisers as well.

5. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I just picked up some Sennheiser HD212 ones and I'm quite impressed. They're not high end, but I needed something I could use that had decent sound but not expensive (I use them in my AVID class so I didn't want them to break, etc, and me be out a chunk of cash).

So far the quality of the headphones has been amazing, and they're quite comfy.

6. unclepaul macrumors newbie

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-7506-Pro-MDR-7506-Headphones/dp/B0002H02ZY

I read that these are the industry standard, or at least were as far as production goes. I wonder if it's changed now that digital media is even more widespread. $100 isn't a bad price even for industry headphones from 3 years ago, assuming the standard has changed, those are a worthy investment.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The pro Sony and Sennheiser stuff is all good. Also check out Beyerdynamic. I've owned their DT 770 PRO set for a few years and I've been quite happy with the performance.

8. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

sweet thanks for the help guys.

i ordered the Sennheiser HD 280

can't wait to get them

9. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

+1

More than happy with these, beautiful fit and replaceable components.

10. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I should look into new headphones too...

People who have good Sony/Sennheiser headphones...do you guys use them when filming too?

11. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

For audio monitoring when filming on location, there is a different set of requirements, compared to an edit suite.

I use Sennheiser HD25 on location.

12. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. But man that's quite a price difference :eek:

13. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Grado do a nice line in headphones:

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_hdpns.htm

14. giffut macrumors 6502

Get ...

... the Sony MDR-V6, that´s my best bet. Driverwise it´s basically a 7509, just lacking the fancy gold stuff on the jacket and using a different - somewhat stiffer - head circle system. It beats the pants off of any more expensive offerings, especially for studio purposes and mixing, regarding neutral tonality and the like - by the way, do always check sound mixes with neutral external monitors.

If you are unsure, as you are collecting a dozen good recommendations here on the forum, get to some dealer where you can try them out: Wear them and use them like you are used to it; and use some real material off your workload to compare your needs; try to set a reference first via external monitors, so you know exactly what you need to "hear" after with them.

15. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

Thanks for the idea. I'll probably take my mbp in and test some out.

Thanks for mentioning this. I did not even think of it. I was going to use the same headphones.