Looking for new monitor/tv. PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skier4life0315, Dec 9, 2008.

1. skier4life0315 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to get some opinions on options for a monitor for my Macbook Pro. I dont really want to shelf out the money for an apple display when there are options that are cheaper and have a faster refresh rate. The main problem I face is color calibration. I am a photographer so i need a monitor that I can easily calibrate to my Macbooks color profile. At the same time though i want to be able to hook up a game system and watch movies, so the 14ms response time of the cinema displays may not be good enough. I am also considering an LCD tv as well, but face the same issue of color calibration. Anyone have any suggestions of what might work for me? Thanks

2. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

I just got a Hannspree HF289H 28" monitor at Bestbuy last week for $399. My Early 2007 MBP picked it up through the color management controls in the display manager right away with no problems. It has VGA, 2 HDMI and audio connections. The HDMI cable will plugged right into my MBP without the need for any adaptors.

However it is huge.:eek:

3. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Whats your budget, and how big of a screen are you looking for? A client of mine got a Samsung 22in screen which looks great, but not sure if that is too small for you.

4. darshan macrumors member

5. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

one friend was in the same situation that you he ended buyin a sony bravia 26 incher tv and he loves it
    sony makes really good displays

6. darshan macrumors member

went to the local best buy ... priced matched it...

GOING TO TEST IT OUT... will post the my thoughts later on today

7. skier4life0315 thread starter macrumors newbie

im not looking for anything more then around 26" for a tv and 24" for a monitor. In terms of budget, just less than the 24" ACD. How easy are the Dell monitors to calibrate? I have heard good thing about their monitors so they are definitely on my list

8. tremulant14 macrumors newbie

9. descartes macrumors 6502

bb pricematched with dell?

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That is a whole $630 cheaper than the new 24" ACD. If you think about value, it is a crazy deal to buy the Apple. This is a nice buy and a great find.

11. darshan macrumors member

hey guys

YES BEST BUY PRICE MATCHES WITH DELL

YES THE MONITOR IS EASY TO SET UP

YES ITS THE BEST MONITOR I'VE EVER OWNED - and gives the most bang for the buck

absolutely love it

has all the inputs i need... hdmi, dvi, n vga

amazing

would definately recommend it

it was on special 2day... but its still relatively cheap at 319 (until) december 15)

12. descartes macrumors 6502

thanks. I am looking to pick up the same one.

13. skier4life0315 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. skier4life0315 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read a review of the 24" Dell and someone says it only displays 72% of the color gamut. Not sure thats going to work for photo editing. The 23" however displays 98% which im venturing to guess will be enough. Anyone have any experience with that one?

15. darshan macrumors member

in my personal opinion, i had no trouble calibrating the monitor

there was lil tweaks require here n there (but for the most part, Out of Box calibration isnt all too bad...)

however if your looking for something sharp for photoediting... i'd assume the following to be a great deal

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...l.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-7641

never had anyexperience with it but 80000: 1 dynamic ratio has to count for something when it cmes to photo editing

also this one has a higher then HD resolution... not sure how powerful of a video card you'd require for this but ye its there incase u have the power harnessed in your comp

let me know if there's anything else i can answer

16. wanaka macrumors newbie

mac book pro connected to sony bravia is awesome

this is the first forum I've ever joined and I did it cuz I wanted to connect my macbook pro to my new sony bravia 37 inch screen. it's so incredible. My photos look fantastic when viewed through the big screen. I'm so happy with it and pleased that people on this forum could tell me how to hook it up! I don't know how to get the sound so will just rely on my sound coming from the laptop since the cable I was told to buy didn't work for me. that's ok. good luck