Looking for new printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Washac, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Decided I will treat myself to a new printer.

Can anybody recommend a good quality colour printer to go with my iMac? I am in the UK

Would be good if said printer used seperate colour tanks, dont like them all in one things, one colour runs out and you have to change the whole thing, not good.

I already have a Canon S450 so would like to upgrade from that, does not have to be a Canon though and must print good quality colour and be very compatable with my iMac.

Thanks...........

2. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

I recently purchased the Canon iP4500 for regular document use, as well as, occasional photo prints - I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Pros
    -Fast
    -2-input paper trays (extremely useful)
    -Individual color tanks
    -Aesthetically pleasing

Cons
    -Generates a fair amount of noise
    -Slow start-up times

While the cost for this printer ($129-retail) is high considering today's low-cost offerings, I was however able to find this brand-new/sealed on Craigslist for $50.

I'd recommend any of the Canon PIXMA printers for general home use, as I've read extremely positive reviews for most of them (in particular - iP2600, iP3500, iP4500).

Hope this helps!

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Canon Pixma MX850 (set up for a customer and works well)

Pros
    Networkable (wired)
    All-in-one
    Duplex Printing
    Good Picture Quality

Cons
    Only basic CMYK + Photo Black cartridges so not stellar photo printing

Epson Stylus 1400 (This is one I am considering for myself to replace epson r340)

Pros
    Larger format printing 13" x 19"
    Cyan, Light Cyan, Magenta, Light Magenta, Yellow, Black ink tanks
    DVD/CD printing
    Great Photo Printing

Cons
    No networking
    Not MFC
    Large

Epson Stylus R1900 What I wish I could afford
    Larger format printing 13" x 19" and 13" roll
    DVD/CD printing
    8 ink tanks (photo black, matte black, red, orange, magenta, yellow, cyan, gloss)
    Stellar Photo Printing

Cons
    No networking
    Not MFC
    Large

If you want the print quality of the R1900 but just need a standard size photo printer I would consider the Stylus R800. I am a big Epson fan great print quality. I would steer clear of HP since not as many products use seperate ink tanks. For a network printer definitely steer clear of HP as I have set several up and they are buggy but the Canons I have installed for networks are great.

To summarize
    -for networkable/nonnetworkable MFC inkjet I would get a Canon (mainly since epson offers very little in the networkable MFC's)
    -for great photo printing I would get an Epson

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Thanks so far for the ideas.

I like the look of the Canon Pixma MP610 Multifunction does what I need and I like the price.

What do you think ?

5. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking for one that I can use wirelessly with my MBP. I've heard some reviews that the HP D7460 is great for photo printing but not so much for text but I don't know for sure myself.

Here are some of the specs:
    Print Speed: black - up to 32ppm, colour - up to 31ppm, photo - 10 seconds for each 10 x 15 cm (4" x 6") photo
    Print Resolution: black - up to 1200 x 1200 dpi, colour - up to 4800 x 1200 optimized dpi using 1200 x 1200 input dpi
    Connectivity: USB, PictBridge, built-in wireless 802.11b/g and ethernet
    Innovative 3.5" touchscreen for ease of photo printing
    Stunning 6 colour Vivera inks
    Memory card slots: CompactFlash/ Microdrive, Memory Sticks, Secure Digital, TransFlash MicroSD Card, and xD-Picture Card
    Uses HP 02 black, cyan, magenta, yellow, light cyan and light magenta ink cartridges
    Dimensions: 17.29cmH x 46.25cmW x 38.73cmD
    Weight: 8kg.

And here locally, HP is the second cheapest ink seller so thats a plus for me.

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Bought the Canon Pixma MP610 :)

Great piece of kit for the price in my book, great prints, fast and whisper quiet :)

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I just got the Canon Pixma iP4500 with my new iMac and I love it. I've used Canon and Epson printers in the past and haven't had any complaints with either brand. My last printer was an Epson Stylus CX6000 all-in-one printer. I know they don't make that particular model anymore but I'm sure there is a newer version out. You really can't go wrong with any of the printers from those two brands.