looking for new router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by notwist, Jul 31, 2008.

1. notwist macrumors regular

I'm looking into buying a new wireless router since I just moved a month ago. Are there any models (other than the airport extreme) that have USB support for connecting a printer and/or external hard drive?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

There may be, but the question will be do those features work with OS X? Airport Extreme/Express have built-in Apple software that enables these features. Other brands don't.

3. pinktank macrumors 6502

I'm using asus wl500gp at the moment and it's pretty nice, you can even make it run linux with custom firmware

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

AirPort Express?

Try the AirPort Express, it has a USB port. But you may would like to consider another solution than Apple network hardware, however I do not know of any other brands that carry a USB port and works with OSX. I recently bought the AirPort Express (802.11g) and that works great with my printer.

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Dude, go airport EXTREME. It's just awesome. You can connect virtually any USB device to it and access it from any computer with wireless internet access. Look on craigslist, i picked one up off of there for $60 compared to $180 in the store which is well worth it. Also, consider looking at a time capsule.

6. notwist thread starter macrumors regular

The router I'm looking for will need to support a PS3 as well. I've been researching online about PS3-Airport Extreme connectivity and have found some problems with connecting the two. I have an old Linksys WRT54GL so I'll see if this one will suffice (I'm going to have to sacrifice the USB port for now).

7. Pili macrumors regular

There are a many other models out there besides the airport extreme that have usb ports in them but just an fyi, i have no issues with the PS3 and my airport extreme on WPA2.

8. pinktank macrumors 6502