Looking for no-nonsense dvd ripper/encoder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trouserpants, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Trouserpants macrumors newbie

I'm looking of an all-in-one program for OSX that will rip videos from a DVD and make them into compressed video files on my hard drive. I've tried to do this in the past but always just gave up because there always seems to be a lot of faffing. There must a simple, one-step, faff-free program that will do this... DVD goes in, divX movies come out. Can anyone reccomened one to me?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Handbrake is open source and will rip DVDs and encode to Xvid. theres also VisualHub

3. jonkemerer macrumors member

I use Handbrake, which is pretty straight forward but feature-a-plenty (I just wish it had better ways to preview what you're encoding besides outright encoding it first, but then I don't know of any better alternatives so...). It doesn't encode in Divx, but does have a bunch of options in its place.

http://handbrake.fr/

Hope this helps!

4. Trouserpants thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses... I actually downloaded handbreak ages ago, but it doesn't work. It pops into my dock and then pops back out when i try to open it. Any idea how to fix this?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just try downloading it again and replacing your old one.

6. Trouserpants thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha... the version I downloaded was leopard only. whoops