looking for old classic game

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by immanence, Apr 20, 2009.

1. immanence macrumors newbie

Hi,

I used to have a game on my first mac, a 1993 powerbook 145b running OS 7.x. I can only remember the vaguest things about the game and was wondering if my description would ring any bells. I have searched and reviewed old game names online, and here, but can't find one that sounds like the one I'm looking for.

Basically, it was some kind of 3D maze-like game (it's not MazeWars, by the way), and I think you could shoot at these faceless avatars that appeared every once in a while, and sometimes behind you. I remember that the walls of this maze were made up of blocks .... at least the game was very geometrical, so to speak. Everything was simple grayscale, of course.

Does anyone remember anything like this, or did I just dream it?

best,
    immanence

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

It wasn't a educational based game? The only one i can think of was number maze

3. immanence thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't educational. As I recall, it was a very early hide and seek and shoot game. For the life of me I can't remember more details, but the other day I recalled a film I truly love, Fearless, and a sequence in it. I thought in my recollection that in the scene the character is playing the game I had in mind. In reality, he is not, but somehow the scene on the screen is similar to the aesthetic of the game I'm talking about.

Attached is a DVD screencap that might jog a few memories.

There's no reason for me to believe the game was from a small company; at the time I think it would have been well known.

In particular I remember the block-like grey avatars chasing me around.

best,
    immanence

Attached Files:

4. immanence thread starter macrumors newbie

This screencap is also reminiscent, in a weird way.

If you see the front facing wall, divided with oblong blocks: this kind of geometrical grey, but 3D (i.e., you'd travel through avenues or corridors like this), with grey oblong blocks on both sides, like block-made walls, was characteristic, too, of the aesthetic of the game ...

Attached Files:

5. Daxeria macrumors newbie

Daxeria

The aesthetic reminds me of Splat'ers, a Mac paintball simulation from 1991. Unfortunately, all that exists online of this game are a few players' memories and a very low-res screenshot from an old magazine.

Do you remember if the game had elevators, or flags you could capture?

6. morepower7 macrumors member

would marathon or some of those old bungie games run on it?