Looking for on-line cloud storage/backup-200GB Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaybar, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jaybar, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I am considering an on-line option to strengthen my backup regime or not even sure it is necessary.

This past weekend, my external drive I use for Time Machine, failed. My iMac was fine, I lost all my historical backups, however.

In addition to time machine, I use super duper to make a bootable clone, using a different hard drive than I do for my Time machine backups.

For a variety of reasons, creating an off-site backup and leaving it with friends/family or at the office, is NOT viable.

Is Time Machine and Super Duper sufficient or do I need on-line backup or cloud storage. If I do I am very confused about the difference between online back-up and cloud storage?

Currently I have about 200GB od data on my iTB hard drive in my iMac.

Advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

2. FoxFifth, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I use online backup in addition to a local Time Machine backup because I want an off site backup in case of fire or theft and it is an easy and cheap way for me to do that. I don't have anywhere near 200 GB however and I am not familiar with what the issues are with an online backup of that size.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I also use a combination of Time Machine (local) and Crashplan+ (cloud/offsite). Both provide deep versioning.

I also clone... but I do not consider clones "real backup" because they have no versioning that is really usable in the general sense.

Personally... I would recommend the OP buy a new drive for TM (drives do fail... which is why you have backup in the first place). Also choose one of several good online backup providers.

Online and Cloud terms can typically be used interchangeably in the area of backup.

/Jim

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I have already purchased a new G-Tech hard drive.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

BTW: 200GB is like falling off a log. It may take a bit of time for the initial backup (depending upon your internet speed). Possibly a week... maybe more.

I use Crashplan family plan with unlimited backup for all my computers. I currently have 8 computers being backed up... the largest of which is 1.5TB. For that particular computer, I used the optional seed service. The 1TB drive held 1.2TB with compression... and the remaining 300GB backed up in about a week.

/Jim