Looking for opinions: 11" i7 fan noise/heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bwawn, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bwawn macrumors member

Hey guys, so I know this has been beat to death in other threads, but...

I'm looking to purchase an 11" MBA. I'm curious how the heat/fan noise is on the i7 version of the 11" specifically (plenty of posts about the 13" i7 here already).

I don't really NEED the i7, but I want a 256GB SSD and don't want to wait for a build-to-order machine to ship, leaving me with an i7 as my only choice (unless it turns out most people find it to be too noisy, in which case I'll BTO it and get an i5, which I've already read in multiple places is very quiet and cool, which is a very important feature to me).

Would any 11" i7 owners be able to chime in here with their experiences: how is the fan noise/heat on your machines?

Thanks!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I've been using the Core i7 for the past 2 hours with Outlook and Safari open, and it's been quiet (the same as my Core 2 Duo MacBook Air was). Sure, when I fire up Handbrake or Parallels Desktop the fan kicks in and the temperatures rise, but again, it's similar to what would happen whenever I taxed the Core 2 Duo. I wouldn't worry about it too much.