Looking for opinions on 4 to 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jduff, Oct 31, 2011.


Would you upgrade from 4 to 4S if in my position?

  1. Yes I would use the upgrade

    14 vote(s)
  2. No I would not use the upgrade

    22 vote(s)
  1. jduff macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2011
    A², MI
    Hi all,

    Here is my specific situation. I have an upgrade available to use. I currently have an iPhone 4 which is in perfect condition, works great etc.

    If I use my upgrade I will not be eligible for another one for ~20 months. So for those of you who have switched from 4 to 4S do you think it is a large enough upgrade to pull the trigger if you were in my shoes?
  2. ZBoater macrumors G3


    Jul 2, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yes. I don't know where I'll be next month, 12 months or 20 months from now. If I were you and you bought the 4S and the 5 came up next year, you can sell the 4S and help pay the full price of the 5.

    Life is too short. Carpe Diem.
  3. climber20 macrumors member

    Feb 18, 2011
    I had a 4 and upgraded to a 4S, but I am on a family plan with multiple lines. Everyone using the other lines prefer cheap, basic phones, so I use their upgrades to get the newest iPhone every year.

    If I were in your situation and only had an upgrade every 1.5 to 2 years, I would have waited and stuck with my 4. Other than being a little faster and having Siri (which has been more useful than I expected), it's pretty much the same thing.
  4. paulro macrumors member

    Oct 15, 2008
    I recently went back to a 4 from a 4S. I personally don't think there is enough difference to justify changing from a 4 to a 4S.

    If the upgrade is free, then it'd be OK, but if like me, you're paying for a sim free iPhone, then it's not worth it in my opinion.
  5. vitzr macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2011
    I'm taking a neutral stance. There's so much acrimony from others that unless one posts what they want to hear the consequences aren't worth ones time.
  6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Aug 8, 2008
    Siri is pretty cool. It's the first truly useful voice recognition app that's not just a gimmicky thing like "voice control" was. However, it will only get better with the next generation iPhone. If you have a 4 I would wait. It's a fantastic update for those coming from a 3GS though.
  7. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    I voted 'no' because that's what I'm doing. I have a 4 and I'll be eligible in about 2 weeks, but I think I'm going to hold out for whatever the next iPhone is going to be in 2012.
  8. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    It all boils down to value -- what's the cost and do the feature differences have value to you in excess of the cost. Consider two scenarios:

    Stick with the 4 for another year, then upgrade to the next one. Based on recent 3GS ebay sales, I'd guess you'd probably get ~$150-$200 net for an iphone4 32GB in a year. (rough guess, very debatable) If you spend $300, then your net upgrade cost is ~$100-150.

    Upgrade now: pay $300 for a 32GB 4S, sell your iphone 4 for perhaps $250 net via ebay. Next year sell the 4S for perhaps $250 net (guessing) and pay $550 for a new phone ($300 + $250 early upgrade fee). Net cost is $50 now plus $300 next year.

    Difference between the choices is $200-$250 over 12 months, or ~$20/month. (again, this is VERY rough guesstimating!)

    Now figure out if that cost is worth (to you) the enhanced features in the 4S.

    In my case, I did upgrade from a 4 to 4S, but also upgraded a family member from my old 3GS to my 4 and put the 3GS in the hands of a third family member. iPhone trickle-down economics. :D
  9. Jigga macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2009
    I don't mean to be a thread hog but I'm debating the same thing.
    Right now, I've upgraded to the 4S which hasn't really WOWed me as I had hoped. But if I keep my contract, I have a corporate discount.
    If I terminate the contract and go month-to-month, I lose the discount.
    The discount over the 2 years will be $350 but I am 100% sure I will want the new phone when released. Being stuck in the contract for another year is what is holding me up.
    P.S. I have a 4 that was swapped out a day before I got the 4S and has a full year warranty on it.
  10. gopnick macrumors regular

    Oct 17, 2007
    The camera is a bigger deal to me than anything else. I hate that yellow look to the iPhone 4 camera. The white balance is much better with the 4S and it handles low-light situations better as well.

    I gave my wife my upgrade. I'm trying to decide whether I want to upgrade in February when her line is due or not. Right now I'm thinking "not".
  11. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020


    Aug 15, 2011
    OP, I wouldn't! The only reasons I upgraded was: my iPhone 4's home button was moody and I used my dad's upgrade because he does not care for the latest and the greatest! I am saving mine for the next one!
  12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040


    Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    I upgraded, but with two phones on the plan I can upgrade again next year using the eligibility of the other phone - and my wife wants my iPhone 4. In your position (assuming only one phone) I would not necessarily upgrade unless there are specific features you want.
  13. snook911 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 13, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I voted yes and I'll give the reason I upgraded. I had a 16GB iPhone 4 that i sold for $350 and I bought the 32GB 4S. So I was able to upgrade to a 32GB iPhone and it did not cost me anything. I have have had an iPhone since September 2007 and so far I have gotten an early upgrade everytime the new iPhone comes out. Hopefully the next iPhone will be the same and if not I will sell the 4S and pay the difference for a full retail iPhone 5(?). I think I still come out ahead when you add getting the 4S paid for and the difference I would have to pay for the next iPhone.
  14. Jigga macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2009
    I think I'm going to bring it back.

Share This Page