Looking for opinions on Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mirage2130, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mirage2130 macrumors newbie

Hey there. I have a late 2012 Mac Mini that currently has the 1tb 5600rpm hard drive that it came with. Yesterday I ordered a 1tb 7200rpm drive to replace the 5600rpm drive to gain some speed but now I am wondering if I should just make a fusion drive.

Here's a little background. I previously had a homemade fusion drive in this machine with the above mentioned 5600rpm 1tb drive along with a 250gb Samsung Evo SSD. The fusion setup worked flawlessly for about 8 months and then completely failed. The computer wouldn't boot all the way and got a core storage error message. I wasn't even able to boot off of my Mavericks USB. Not until I removed the SSD was I able to boot off of the usb, repair the original hard drive and install Mavericks.

Everything is working fine now and I just updated to Yosemite but the speed of this 5600rpm drive is killing me. The SSD has been reformatted and is working properly again on it's own as an external drive.

My question is, should I set up a fusion drive again with the SSD and the new 7200rpm drive or should I just install the new 7200rpm drive and call it a day? I'd really rather not install the os on the SSD and all of my files on the hard drive, making two separate drives. I'd rather just have a single drive setup, or one that looks that anyway with the fusion drive option.

Thanks

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Fusion drive all the way. You wont gain much speed over your current 5400rpm drive with the new one anyway.

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I'd cancel the 7200 rpm drive, boot from the external SSD, and use the internal for data. I don't see any downside to that.

4. mirage2130 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. After giving it some thought and reading what you had to say, I think I am going to give the fusion drive another shot.

Thanks again.