Looking for opinions on VW, specifically the new Golf TDIs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shivetya, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Anyone here with one?

If so, how has it performed? I am still a bit leery about VW but the lure of the diesel motors and their mileage is there.

2. newuser2310 macrumors regular

Drove a manual 2.0 tdi 2007 plate for about 10k, which are very similar to to the current models.

Dull as dishwater, not that economical, ok interior, a bit boat-like in the corners.

Ok for taking the kids to school or going shopping, but completely uninspiring if you enjoy driving.

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

TDI not worth it. Youre gonna be paying more for oil changes and general maintence such as oil and water filters.

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

What the hell is a water filter?

TDIs require less oil changes then gas engines, and if you can turn a few wrenches you can change the oil yourself for cheap.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009/09/2009-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-diy-oil--filter-change.html

5. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

the water filter they are talking about is usually called water separator. its separates the water out from the fuel. i have a 2001 gti 1.8t and the car is a pile of sh$#. its comfortable, stylish, fun to drive, but other than that the thing is worthless. another 3 parts and the whole car will be brand new. ive had my a/c fixed twice, heater core replaced, water pump, oil cooler, oil pump, door modules, window regulators, 12 coils (only 4 cylinder engine), and the list goes on. right now it needs another door module and a cam tensioner and a maf sensor. 1500.00 just for the cam tensioner. the sensor was 300.00 just in parts. and the door module...i just deal with. sounds like good times huh? BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK. lol.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When the TDIs were getting 50mpg they were worth it, now that they are down at 40mpg ... the new gas cars are right there in the ballpark.

Heck, I'd probably spend the less money on a Ford Fiesta for the same mileage.

However, it being a Ford will probably feel the same at 10k as the VW does at 150k. In regards to squeaks and rattles.

The problem with the Golf compared to a Ford is your insurance is definitely going to offset any savings ... since the insurance institute is ranking the Golf as quite a bit more costly to repair compared to the Fords.

---

Now if you tend to stomp the pedal in cars the TDI might be lackluster, since they tend to favor slow steady on pedal ... but if you get used to it, they do rather well compared to a gas car if you do a lot of jackrabbit starts.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Considering that my insurance went down when I got my Golf GTI, even though it was more everything than my old car, more expensive, more powerful, etc, I'm not so sure I believe that.

8. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Please. I'm not a fan of Ford either but last 2 generations of Jetta are notorious for being unreliable. So much so that I see them much less often around here and we live on foreign cars. Just means buyers smartened up. Personally I would buy a Ford over VW any time.

The old VWs had overbuilt diesel engines that allowed the car to last for a long time. I once drove a mid-80s Jetta with 357K miles on it. Rest of the car was falling apart but it still ran. That's impressive. I seriously doubt new cars will last that long.

9. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I've got a 2007 VW Rabbit (obviously not a diesel). I absolutely love this car--it's an absolute blast to drive. It's not even a GTI and it's still fun. The 2.5L I5 is surprisingly potent.

It's approaching 50,000 miles without the slightest bit of any issues. The most I've had to put into it so far was about $500 for a new set of tires at about 40,000 miles. Maintenance has basically just consisted of oil changes. I'm due for "big" 40,000 mile service, but I'm not in too big of a hurry to do that as long as I get it done before 50k or so.

I'd be a VW again in a heartbeat.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Now that's better, right? :)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And FWIW, on new VWs (unless they changed it in 2010), maintenance is free for the first 30,000 miles. Just had the 20,000 mile service done on my GTI a couple weeks ago, it's nice not having to pay for it.

12. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I replaced my Audi A4 Cabrio with a 2010 Jetta.

I think the VW is a very solid and nice car for the money. It blew away the comparable cars in quality and comfort. Mine is a lease, so I'm not worried about anything too long term with it. The first 3 years' maintenance is still included. :D

13. waloshin macrumors 68040

[​IMG]

Yes and I suggest asking the same question on tdiclub.com

- Tell them the mileage that you drive a year.

- Where you live, climate wise.

- How well you maintenance your cars.

* And a note the Tdi's need a required timing belt replacement that will cost you around $2000 every so often , so once again not worth it!

14. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

$2000 for a timing belt? You're ****ing insane.

Most compact cars using timing belts, most dealers will charge about $300~500 to change it. You can do it your self for about $100 pretty much regardless of make or model. My VW dealership quoted me $400 to change the timing chain on my VR6 and that includes parts and the labour for them to remove the transmission to do the work.

15. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I'm not Ford driver by any means, but they've come a long way in quality.

16. waloshin macrumors 68040

Right, at $100.00 an hour labour + parts. Besides it's a diesel not v6 gas.

Heres one example from Tdiclub.com

have been lurking for a bit and read several of the timing belt related discussions. Thanks to this forum for educating me enough that waiting on replacing the timing belt would be stupid. I have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI that I bought new. Great car, running well that I have been very happy with!

I have 134,000km on it and have done regular maintenance at the Jetta dealership here in Toronto, Canada.

They have told me the price will be approx. $2000 for the timing belt and water pump replacement.

I have two questions:

1. Is this price about right?
    2. How do I know they will do the work correctly as I have read a few posts here that say even dealerships sometimes screw it up?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284150&highlight=timing+belt

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Here is the link, had to wait for my computer ...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/administration/program_development/2010_Comparison_Insurance_Costs.pdf

My comment was more about the fit and finish quality of the Fords, they have come a long way there, but are still behind VW. I still expect them do develop the squeaks and rattles that annoy the crap out of you quickly.

As far as any durability of the drivetrain, and stuff that breaks keeping the car from running, Ford has VW beat.

My experience in buying Fords, is that you'll hear or feel a part failing about 20-60k miles before it does. Though most people won't even notice it.