Looking for Over-the-ear earbuds

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Krafty, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I've been using the iPhone headphones only because they come with, and for the mic/sound control. Now they're starting to go and I'm looking for a pair of similar earphones with mic/control to replace, as I didn't see the point in spending $40 on a pair of bad earbuds.

The thing is, I have trouble keeping them in my ears, so I was trying to find something that goes around it. The first choice was Powerbeats by Dre as they have the style I need with a control&mic pod, but I understand the marketing hype. Also, reading reviews from various places, another issue with them were DOA's and poor assembly (parts breaking, control coming loose, and whatnot).

I'm not sound engineer, or audiophile, nor is my budget too big, but I was looking for a pair of similar earbuds thats sound at least decent since there is no need for me to purchase studio quality earphones (if.. those exist?).

In a nutshell:
    A pair of earphones with this style -
    [​IMG]

with a control / mic thats compatible with the iPhone 4. Quality at LEAST better than the Apple ones that are now crapping out on me (the balance of the music is shifting to the left side).

2. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

I can see your dilemma. Beats have been overhyped but from what you've described on what you're looking for those ones seem to be perfect. Beats have varied opinions but you should just take it like that, as an opinion.

You say you don't want to break the bank and that you're not an audiophile and whatnot. Finding earbuds like the ones you posted by Monster with the built in mic are really hard to find. I say go for those ones. They are a little pricey but in reality other earbuds in the same range are far more expensive. You're looking at around $150 and they do provide a better sound experience than the apple earbuds.

That style of over-ear 'sport' earbuds are hard to come by especially coupled with the iphone control/mic. If you did go with just in ear earbuds I would suggest a brand like Shure. But they cost waaaay more! But please please please don't go with Skullcandy. If you think Beats are overhyped for the price try cosmetic looks first before sound with skullcandys....ugh...

anyway gl!

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I bought them, they were uncomfortable. Couldn't enjoy the music cause 15 minutes in it felt like someone took a razor blade to my ears.

Took them back and got a Phillips set which are perfect (and $75 back).