looking for PDF annotation app for iPad, requirements..

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ElDogman, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

here's my requirements:

1. Be able to highlight and also add in comments

2. The thing that worries me most is that i try high lighting, but instead, the page moves instead of the highlighter. some kind of scroll lock feature needed

3. ability to export the pdf file (or doc) easily

4. optimized for high resolution (iPad 3).. although do not expect this capability yet..

5. preferably free, but if none exists. or an exceptional paid one exists.. I'll be willing to consider it

thanks for reading :)

2. cinca macrumors regular

I would recommend considering PDFPEN . While I actually have no personal express using it, I did quite a bit of research looking at options for my mother who is not a very technically literate person. Many, many of the options out there were just vastly complicated and featured way, way too many features for her to wrap her head around. PDFPen, on the other hand, was very much optimized around annotating PDF files. Many of the other programs feature file transfer and other more complicated options that just seem to get in the way of a PDF annotation experience.

If you are a more sophisticated user, good reader is a very good program. But it is a bit of a "kitchen sink" type application and does many, many things. For my mom, this meant many features and buttons and options that confused her and got in the way of the small handful of things she was looking her pDF annotation program to do most efficiently.

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I posted a similar question in another section of the forum. I'm looking for a fast annotating app that makes use of the retina display of the new iPad.

Blurry text seems to be possible in PDF apps that haven't been optimised for the retina iPad (contrary to what was suggested by Apple).

I'm getting blurry PDF text in...

Goodreader
    GoodNotes
    neu.Annotate+

The only one I've used so far that can annotate retina-opimised text is...

Paperport Notes, but unfortunately it is very slow and sluggish (loading, drawing and the general interface).

Anyone got any other suggestions? I have a lot of annotating to do and I'd like to make the most of my pixels...

4. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

PDF Expert 4.0 with Retina display support will be in the AppStore in a few days.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Good reader. And it's just been updated too...A must have iPad app IMO.

7. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I'm not seeing any update to 3.14.0 which resolves blurry text in my PDFs.

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I just bought PDF Expert, I'm very happy with it

$10, but I believe it'll do everything you need

9. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Found one!

Notability shows hi-res text (even though the interface looks like it hasn't been optimised yet). Seems like a decent app too.

10. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

Yes, it is coming in 7-10 days.

11. jojoba macrumors 68000

I recommend iAnnotate and PDF Expert. Both are very good apps. iAnnotate hasn't updated yet AFAIK, but I'd imagine it's coming. Neither are free, though.

12. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Actually although Notability is sharp already, its screen refresh seems kind of bugged at the moment: very sluggish when zooming or changing orientation.