Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
I have a controller that looks like a so called AppleJack controller. It says pippin on top and Atmark on the bottom. The connection port is a mac ADB (same form factor as an s-video (4 pin) ). On all pippin images the 2 ports (ADB) look more like a flat connector. So here is what confuses me.

What controller do I have?
What does it not have the flat connector?
What is this controller for?
Would I be correct in thinking this will not work on a pippin console.
Is there an adapter to make it work?
Is this just a mac clone of the controller?

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
Actually I'm making a USB adapter for it. I think I pretty much have the ADB protocol down but there is no info on the net for the controller itself. Maybe you know some of this info? To write to a ADB device I need the address and register. I'm pretty certain the the register I need is 0 but I can not figure out the address.

So this is in fact a ADB device since it's intended to work on a mac. Is the pippin flat connector the same thing just with a proprietary connector? That is, a special connector unique to that console right?

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Actually, the pad is just a mouse (for the trackball) and a ADB Gamepad. I have tried with a Griffin USB/ADB adapter, and the mouse works with Yosemite.

And yes, the Pippin use a classic ADB protocol with a "rugged" connector.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
Ok then I would guess that the mouse portion should answer to the mouse address. That helps for now, thx.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
I was able to get a two byte (x,y) reply from the mouse part of the controller but I tried every address and register combo with no luck getting the button string.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
I have a better understanding of what is going on now but wondering if there is a place to ask for help? I'm able to communicate with this controller but it only response to a talk command on register 3. That register tells me some basic info about the controller and what address it has. The address is randomly changing and I'm able to use a listen command to set it to a permanent address. Though once set reading to that address does not reply. Is there a forum or group of people that may be able to help?

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
Looks like just a bunch of picture?

I was able to make it respond to the mouse portion. Just can not seem to get it to give me gamepad info. Mouse was address of 0x0e and ox00 (abs / rel). I tried all addresses but nothing else replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.