Looking for PowerBook or Older Macbook to Run Legacy Software

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iKokomo, Feb 1, 2017.

1. iKokomo macrumors newbie

While cleaning up around my parents house I found some neat legacy (rosetta) based Mac OS X Games that would be fun to use again (Sims 1 Complete Collection, Big Metal Box II (collection of 4 games), and much more). I do not think that I would use any classic apps (I only found Deus Ex 1). These are older software that can't be run on my newer computers.

My question is, what would be the most versatile for what I need? I love the look and the size of the PowerBook G4 and I know it was made up to 1.5Ghz, but they are beginning to get expensive now.

The Macbook (even a 2006 one) are much cheaper and more powerful, but the look of the G4 is so much better!

My question is, should I get a late Powerbook G4 will it run my legacy programs well? Or should I just scrap the idea and get an older Macbook.

Keep in mind I DO NOT need to surf the internet with this. I know a G4 does it horribly, but it is a non issue. I have a new Macbook Pro / Air combo for that. I just need it purely for running older apps.

Thanks!

2. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Depends on your budget and how bad you want to put money on a pet project - speaking as someone who kept an old Mac SE/30 around for years just for the hell of running old software from time to time, it's totally fun but will you be into it once the novelty wears off?

The cheaper option is to run an emulator on either of your current Macs. ;)

3. smirking macrumors 6502a

Emulators exist? Where?

4. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Sheepshaver and PearPC (runs on Windows tho) are the two I can think of.

5. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

I believe you can only emulate PPC OS X with Rosetta. You can install it under Snow Leopard, but you have to get it from the System Update server. I assume that is still available, but i don't know for sure. So a low-end MacBook might be the way to go. If you let us know your location, that might help you locate a local used Powerbook or early MacBook.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2017 ---
    I stand corrected then. PearPC appears to be able to run OS X 10.3. Sheepsaver can only run Classic OS as far as i know (that's what I use it for). But Rosetta is still the best bet.

6. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Hell, I wrote this without checking eBay - I'm seeing iBook G4s going for like US$40-50, definitely worth a shot for playing around (may require some additional purchases like RAM or an AC adapter, etc).

7. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

Im selling 2 G4 ibooks 1.4Ghz and 900MHz

only 1.4GHz with maxed ram 1.5GB one works though.

In UK looking £30 pair.
    New battery in the working unit.

Love the G4 but cant do some thing i need for work.