Looking for powerful iMac or Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marcusmacman, Oct 9, 2010.

1. marcusmacman macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Im looking at buying an imac or a Macbook pro but i need to make sure its powerful enough to run all my music/movies/tv shows. Currently i have approx 200,000 tracks and about 500 movies/tv shows on external hard drives.

I would like to know if it is possible to get an imac or macbook pro that is powerful enough to run all of this in itunes without being slow and sluggish?

I know it is possible to buy a mac pro but these are very expensive.
    Is it possible to purchase a imac or Macbook pro that could run this for me.

Cheers.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Any current Mac, or Core2Duo Mac from 2007 onwards (and even the Macs before that, I have an iBook from 2004 able to play music and movies), is able to play video and music, unless you want to play the 500 movies at once or the 200,000 music titles at once, then even a Mac Pro will explode.

You can get the entry level iMac, MacBook and even Mac mini to do what you want to do.

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Agreed. There's no difference between being able to play one movie or song, or playing millions. It's the same process, just repeated. The size of your movie or music library is irrelevant.

4. tooobe macrumors regular

Might want to get an SSD though as that will help with that sort of iTunes library processing...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only if you store the contents to the SSD. You would need ridiculously big SSD though. 200 000 songs is a lot, if they are roughly 4MB each, that would be 800GB. Movies and TV shows can easily be up to 1GB each, depends what format they use, so we would be looking at +1TB of data.

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Any of the current Apple computer line up would do this easily, but you need to ask yourself what you want from your setup. Do you need the portability of a Macbook? Do you plan on just using it as a media server for other devices? If you don't need portability an iMac is far more bang for your buck. If you're on a budget and already have keyboard, mouse, screen an Mac Mini is also a good option.

7. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

8. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I would personally go for iMac because you get a nicer display and you can leave the hard drives plugged in. With a laptop you'd have to take them out every time you move the laptop.

Up to you to decide in the end though.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why do you find that hard to believe? I'm at about 30,000.

10. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Not that I don't believe the OP, but 170,000 tracks is still a LOT.

As for the topic, any Mac is powerful enough to support that (not simuntaneously as stated of course). I would go for an iMac as you are going to need a lot of hardrives, and the 2TB internal option seems to be the obvious choice for you.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree it's more than I've heard of anyone having, but I've heard of collections of 50-80k tracks. I only buy what I like, and my tastes may not be quite as diverse as some others.

12. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I'm at 12000. The difference between us and 200,000 is quite a lot

13. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

True, the difference is quite a bit. However, if the OP says he has that many we have to give him advice based on that figure. Is it unlikely that he has 200,000 tracks? Sure. But it is possible? Of course.

To answer the question, as others have said, any "modern" Mac will handle your media, OP. I would suggest a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, model in-exclusive.

14. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

@OP
    Don't tell me that you paid for all those 200,000 songs :eek::eek:

15. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

DMCA probably sent him some nice letters if he didn't or he paid or hes very lucky.:rolleyes: