Looking For Project Organization Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Done-on-a-Mac, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Done-on-a-Mac macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking for a good project organizer. I need to be able to set goals, time allocation, set schedules, planner, organizer etc... Something close to this would be fine as I'm not using this for business purposes.

I'm looking for something very similar too "ConceptDraw Project", thought it is a little pricey at $199US.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

Bento

I use Bento and it is really cool and simple to use and you can customize it anyway you want to fit whatever your doing.

Word of caution: DO NOT use the built in iCal sync if you want to store dates that you will need later. For example, saving dates that a technician woks on things. I have lost data this way because there is a bug in the way iCAl backs up its DBs. INSTEAD create your own even or task collection as works the same way, its just not sync'd with iCal.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I don't remember the price, but Merlin was one of the better ones out there. There is Project X, and a few others, but I can't remember them. It has been that long since I actually tried PM software on the Mac.

4. joeconvert macrumors 6502

I am using Merlin 2.5. It really is a heavy weight project scheduling solution with soma capability for tracking issues and risks. You will find most of the tools available in MS Project with a few nice extras. (reporting is much better in my opinion)

Merlin also interoperates with MS Project pretty well if that is a concern for you.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm using OmniPlan, and as with all OmniGroup products it's well crafted.

6. Done-on-a-Mac thread starter macrumors member

Hey, Thanks for the replies! I'm checking them out now. :)

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

And it's free as well. Good price :D

However, I use the Omniplan, Merlin was a 2nd choice. I'm currently evaluating Gantt and it's nice for free, but a tad clunky for my taste. Still as an option it's very nice.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It is clunky..... however it has steadly improved! I have used it on a couple of major projects and it worked out great. The nice thing about it is our group installed the software and have the main file residing on our server and everyone can access it. Comes in handy a lot.

We have tried MS Project but did not have the funds to get 5 licenses.

10. bliss137 macrumors newbie

Critical Chain

My typical application usually requires a little more heavy duty tool than Done-on-a-Macs, do OminPlan or Merlin 2.5 support Critical Chain Project Management scheduling?

CCPM focuses on managing constrained resources through projects - doing so in one project isn't that big a deal, doing so with shared resources in multiple project environments (where most of us live) is a big pain.

This isn't just load leveling as it requires identifying the "critical chain" or longest sequence of resource dependences, particularly that of any constraining or strategic resource.

Thanks greatly.