Looking for Real Audio to MP3 app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shaunvis, Jul 19, 2011.

1. shaunvis macrumors member

Hi all,

I came across an old website with some interviews I want to grab. They're in real audio (ugh...) though so I can't just download and save them.

Anyone know of an app or browser plugin that will let me capture & save the files? In a perfect world, the app would also convert them to mp3 but I'm sure I can find something to do that if I can just figure out how to save the files.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you post a link?
    You might be able to download them using the Activity window in Safari. Post a link and I'll test it.

3. shaunvis thread starter macrumors member

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. shaunvis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply but I found a simpler route.

http://www.ghacks.net/2005/11/07/how-to-save-real-audio-files-to-hard-disk/

1. Go to a webpage that offers Real Audio Streams, they normally offer a link to a .ram file which you download. The .ram file only contains the link to the .ra / .rm file, and that’s what we need. Remember the .ra file contains the audio, the .ram file the location of the audio file.

Download the .ram file and open it locally with a text editor. You should see a line with a link to the audio file. If you are lucky the url starts with http://

If that’s the case simply copy paste the url into your browser and you are prompted to download the audio file.

Then I converted with a free app in the app store called "Smart Converter". It's a little too smart though & doesn't give any options as far as where to save, what quality or file-type but it works for me in this case.

Thanks again