Looking for receipt scanning software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by selfinfliction, Aug 12, 2012.

1. selfinfliction macrumors newbie

We're piling up a massive amount of paperwork/receipts at the house and I want to start scanning everything in, instead of having multiple filing cabinets.

Other than the neatworks program, can anyone recommend a good receipt scanning software? Don't really care if it does business cards, but having a searchable receipt is pretty important.

Thanks in advance for info. :)

2. Daysight macrumors regular

If you have a iPhone: TurboScan. Fast, accurate, cheap, mobile; makes PDFs that I email to myself within the app.

3. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

You don't mention what scanner you are using, if any...

But when I was faced with the same dilemma I did a lot of research on document scanners and I purchased a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300. It comes with excellent OCR software and you can easily create searchable PDFs when scanning.

I previously used a flatbed scanner and the ScanSnap does it better in about 1/10th of the time... :)

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I tried neatreceipts for a while. It was nice but I now use a Brother MFC7440 network scanner. I scan receipts and important documents to my Mac in a matter of seconds. I have it set to make jpg files of color and greyscale scans and pdf files of b&w scans. I then rename the file for whatever receipt it is and I'm all set.

5. selfinfliction thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry forgot to specify the scanner, it's a brother 9325cw multifunction.

The fukitsu scanners seem to have a good rep, but we just bought this one so we're really looking for software only.

6. Mojo1, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Have you found the bundled Brother software lacking?

If so, take a look At ABBYY: http://www.abbyy.com/. Versions of ABBYY software are bundled with Fujitsu scanners (the company owns a minority stake in ABBYY) and DEVONthink Pro Office, which allows the user to scan directly to a DEVONthink database.

Frankly, if you plan on scanning a lot of receipts and other papers I think that you will ultimately wind up ditching your Brother flatbed scanner. It's simply too cumbersome on several levels to use a flatbed for your purposes (Been There, Done That!) If you truly want to go "paperless" a flatbed scanner is not the tool for the job.

Flatbeds are fine for scanning artwork, photographic prints and occasional letter-size documents. But they were never intended as replacements for document scanners. I used to let my scanning pile-up because using the flatbed was such a chore; scanning a document took a lot longer and multiple steps. Now I just open up the Fujitsu and do my scans in a matter of seconds vs. minutes using the flatbed.

The ScanSnap Manager icon can reside in the Dock for easy access. It has multiple presets and you can create your own so you can quickly select a preset depending on what you are scanning. You don't even have to interact with the software if the current selected preset suits your need. Just open the scanner, insert the paper(s) and push the blue button.

If you have never used a document scanner think back to the last time you were in a doctor's office and the receptionist scanned your health insurance card. Remember how fast it scanned the card? Now scan a similar item using your flatbed scanner, apply OCR and save the file. See for yourself how long it takes in comparison...

I would save the money you would spend on third-party software, bite the bullet and get a Fujitsu. The S1300 is tiny in comparison to an all-in-one printer, so it can sit beside your Mac. There is a smaller portable scanner and a larger desktop scanner too. (The S1300 can run on USB power, albeit slower than when plugged into AC.)

I read a lot of pro and user reviews. The Fujitsu bested the Neat scanners by a wide margin. I've been using mine for around a year and it has been a significant time-saver compared to my Epson flatbed. I wanted to use the flatbed so I could avoid paying for another piece of hardware, but the experience was so frustrating that I eventually gave up.

Good luck!