Looking for recommendations for a Pass through Cam

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by darthmaynard, Oct 21, 2012.

1. darthmaynard macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm hoping some of the regular users of this forum can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a cam that I can use with iMovie 11 that will be recognized and allow be to create a video like the built in iSight cam.

Basically, I'm a guitarist making videos to post to youtube, etc. What I like about making the video directly into iMovie is that I can also use my better sounding condenser mic. This way the audio I want to use is directly on the video and I don't have worry about synching later. Also, setting up the shot is easier as I tend to do this solo. Seeing the shot on the monitor will sure beat recording on the Flip cam and going back and forth until it's what I want.

As you can see by my sig, I have limited hardware capabilities. The video card in the laptop can't handle anything more than 720p. I tried the FCP trial, upgraded to 8 GB RAM but it was nothing but an icepick-to-the-forehead experience. I suppose I could get newer cam and shoot at a lower resolution. I'll probably upgrade the laptop next year to a 15" with a decent video card and processor. Not opposed to using a DSLR as I hear those are becoming more capable these days.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

2. daybreak macrumors 6502a

I think your whole structure of producing your vision needs some serious consideration?.
    Your laptop will hinder you. FCP-X has a built in monitor for you to record.
    There are enough camcorders on the market at resizable price, like Sony, Panasonic, to meet your criteria.
    The main question you need to ask yourself how much do i wish to spend?:apple:

3. darthmaynard thread starter macrumors newbie

db,

Thanks for your post. You're right, my current laptop is kind of a limitation which will be addressed next year when I upgrade. But if I could find something in the meantime that would accomplish the task, I'd be willing to spend 200-500.

Any specific ideas in terms of cameras?

Thanks again for your suggestion

4. daybreak macrumors 6502a

What would you be looking for? Mini Tapes or SDHC camcorder?.
    I don't know if it would be in your interest to invest in something temporally. Too me it would be pouring money down the drain. Dont forget Christmas is coming up could be a omen???????
    The two above items would be cheap as people are moving into other forms of format with their camcorders.:apple:

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Canon makes the Vixia HV40, which has firewire, and will sound great after hooking up a $20 external mic.

6. darthmaynard thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually tried a Canon Vixia HF200 with a SDHC and could never get the video to import to iMovie OR get the cam to show up in iMovie. While the HV40 sounds like a nice cam, it might be a $1000 headache if it communicates with the MBP like the HF200 did.

As this post has been up a while with limited response, I'm thinking my best bet is to take the laptop with me to some place like Best Buy, start with the clearance of last year's models and see what works. The point of producing these videos for me is to increase my business as a musician. 720p is enough for the audience I'm aiming to reach on the internet. When it's time to upgrade, I'll poll the audience and see what rigs are working for different folks and go from there. If I find anything that is suitable, I'll repost for the next poor chap that bought into the whole "Pro" bill of goods Apple is touting. For now, the Flip Ultra HD accomplishes what I need, if inefficient.