looking for refurb iPad 1st gen any cheaper places than Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, May 15, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

so looking for bottom of the barrel 16gb 1st gen iPad - is there any place cheaper than the Apple store that I can find one??

It's at 349.00 any place else I might find a better deal? Thought I'd ask before grabbing it

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Craigslist. I just joined the iPad scene.

$300 got me a Gen 1 32GB Wifi+3G in original box with neoprene carry case. I ended up giving him $330 because he drove 30 mins to meet me the same night I emailed him. All the other replies I got were scammers. Just have to have perseverance and keep looking daily.

When I got home I inspected it further and found 2 tiny knicks on the back and a very small indent. Doesn't bother me at all. Front was 100% flawless.

For that price, I'm happy. Looks great in the Speck Candyshell case for $5 from ATnT

4. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

that's a hell of a price. i've been offering $350 for a 32g wifi only and no luck so far. cheapest i've found was $400 (about 4 of them)

5. Tomacorno macrumors regular

3g Models throught AT&T

I picked up a 64G first gen with 3g refurb on AT&T for $429. The 16G was $329. At that price, don't get the data plan if you don't want it (although they may have you buy the first month which you can then cancel). You will have the bonus of a gps chip and 3g if you ever want it. Availability changes. When I first looked into it they did not have any 64Gigs available. They sell the 32 gig for the same $429 :confused:

I checked a few days later and bought the 64G for $429 and it looks brand new to me.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did you get these on a retail store, or online?

7. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Yeah man I got real lucky. All the other replies I got were scammers besides one that was already sold. This one was posted maybe 2 hours before I emailed him, and he got back to me immediately. He said someone offered $400 but wouldn't have the money til 3 days after. Guess he needed quick money cuz he met me a few hours after.

This was after scouring Craigslist for about 4-5 days, searching cities within an hour away.

8. princealyy macrumors regular

You can also get a 64gb at Verizon for 399 ... It is a gen 1 great deal ... Beats any refurb deal from apple right now.

9. Janet1 macrumors member

$349 is actually a pretty good price considering that model originally sold for $499, plus tax.

If that one is "new-in-box" I would buy it, over a used or refurbished one for $300.

Why? Battery life. A used iPad would already have a year less worth of battery life remaining. I'm not sure about refurbished, but would only buy refurbished if the battery had been replaced with a fresh, new battery.

Ipads have only been out for a little over a year, so there's not enough history to estimate how long the batteries might last before they will need to be replaced. Replacing the battery requires removing and replacing the entire screen -- which is neither easy or cheap.

10. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

What's the batt life like on these things? The one I mentioned above will last a good 4-5 hours or so playing games and web browsing. Not sure how old it is.

Takes a few hours to charge.

11. rontej0226 macrumors newbie

Guys,

I wanted to let you know that I ordered a 16gb black wifi ipad 2 at AValive/Triangle Visual Interactive avalive.com. It arrives in 2 days and I ordered on the 4th..no taxes, free shipping

12. Tomacorno macrumors regular

That is an online only deal.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I just sold my iPad 2 WIFI yesterday and ordered an iPad 32GB 3G via AT&T for $460 shipped. They had 64GB for the same price, but of course they were sold out. The reason being is that I prefer having 3G, but I'm not looking to pay $700 after taxes for an iPad 2 3G 16GB.

14. Janet1 macrumors member

iPads normally are supposed to last 8-10 hours of normal use, and mine does, but the bigger issue is how long the batteries will continue to hold a charge before you need to replace them.

Replacing batteries on the iPad is no easy task as it requires completely removing the screen first, which is neither easy or cheap.

As the iPad's only been out for a little over a year, no one really knows how long these batteries will last before they need to be replaced.