Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

14Thor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2017
Hi,

I'm working on a low budget short film and am in need of some sound effects, primarily ambience. Any recommendations for sources such as sound library databases or perhaps a special interest forum?

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
If you're looking for free stuff I would start by youtube. There are tons of sound effects, some of them several hours clips. Download it, and then "export audio" in quicktime. Sound quality is sometimes quite good. For that kind of project you might just find exactly what you're looking for.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you're looking for free stuff I would start by youtube. There are tons of sound effects, some of them several hours clips. Download it, and then "export audio" in quicktime. Sound quality is sometimes quite good. For that kind of project you might just find exactly what you're looking for.

I think if the OP wants to handle the legal ramifications properly on his project then he can't depend on a YouTube video upload. Furthermore, you can't really trust a random website with downloadable sounds to be on the "up and up".

There are online services that, for a fee, provide sound effects in which the copyrights are controlled by the service. Many of these are of the "royalty free" variety...if you've paid the upfront fee then you owe no royalties for subsequent use. Some may require a credit in the film.

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
I think if the OP wants to handle the legal ramifications properly on his project then he can't depend on a YouTube video upload. Furthermore, you can't really trust a random website with downloadable sounds to be on the "up and up".

There are online services that, for a fee, provide sound effects in which the copyrights are controlled by the service. Many of these are of the "royalty free" variety...if you've paid the upfront fee then you owe no royalties for subsequent use. Some may require a credit in the film.

We both agree on this - I've bought sound effects numerous times as well. But I did find some very useful things on youtube, sometimes recorded by the uploader who doesn't ask anything in return. Room tones, foleys, city ambiences, etc. Depends on what OP is looking for I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.