Looking for second monitor for dual setup...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by molocono, Jun 24, 2008.

1. molocono macrumors member

I currently run a Dell 2007WFP 20" monitor with my MacPro 2.66GHz which I use for video editing.
    I want to buy second monitor to have a dual setup, but am having trouble finding the right one.
    My first question is, should I get a matching 20" or is it ok to go a bit wider?
    I was looking at the Dells but it appears that most of them now have TN panels, which I wanted to stay away from.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I run a 15" MBP with a 23" cinema display and they sit at different heights. I have no issue moving things from screen to screen and it's not bothersome to have two different sizes from an operational POV. If you want the cool NASA control center look, go for the same, otherwise, IMHO go for as big is reasonable. More real estate is better!

3. MatchFrame macrumors member

My personal taste would be to go with the exact same model, as long as you've been happy with its performance. Two 20" Dells will look great next to each other and provide more than enough screen real estate.

Mixing heights isn't too much of a problem, especially if you're using one screen just for bins and the other for your timeline, canvas, etc. Just make sure they aren't drastically different.

I just ordered a Mac Pro last Saturday, and the Dell 2408WFP yesterday. It has been described as a "FCP editor's dream," and the fact that it is S-PVA will put your mind at ease. Additionally, it has HDMI, component, dual DVI, VGA, and S-video inputs, plus several USB 2.0 ports and a media card reader.

If you used this as your main monitor and the 20" for support, I think it could be a great setup for what you do.

Do you have a price range in mind? What do you use to edit, and what other programs will you be using it for?

4. molocono thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking at spending around $300.
    I like my current Dell and if I could I would buy the same one again, but it seems you can't find the 2007WFP anymore.
    I think the 2009WFP replaced it, but with TN panels. Dunno if I should just go with that.
    Anything bigger than 20" I think would be too much for me due to available desk space.

I do my editing on FCP and it's the program I mostly use.
    Photoshop would be next.
    After Effects should be coming soon, though...and I plan to start developing my own website as well.
    Right now I do use an NTSC monitor to check my colors, though.

5. MatchFrame macrumors member

I Googled the 2007WFP and found some good results. $350+ in price if one of them is a reliable seller.

A non-TN monitor isn't going to get much cheaper than that. It might be a tough search. I'd try to stick with what you already know you like if you feel you can afford it.

Not only does your desk space not allow for a monitor bigger than 20", but if you already have an NTSC monitor then it wouldn't be worth it to increase your monitor size anyway unless you're going to get into some serious HD work.

6. molocono thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks.
    Well now I'm thinking...would it be a bad idea to go with a TN panel monitor?
    I'd still stick with a 20". Cost is a factor at this point.
    As far as HD goes, I don't think I will be doing any of that until next year.