Looking for shared hosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by grimreaper1377, Dec 30, 2008.

1. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm looking for a shared hosting plan that ideally, would have the following:

- Not too much bandwith/hard drive space. Though many of them have INSANE deals on them since I guess they assume most people will only use 1% of what they're given :p
    - Ruby on Rails 2.0 or higher
    - PHP 4/5+
    - SVN/Git
    - ssh WITHOUT HAVING TO UPLOAD MY PHOTO ID (this is the main thing I am looking for)
    - 24/7 support via either email/phone
    - unlimited subdomains
    - 99.9% uptime guarantee

I'm not willing to pay more than $7-8/month.

Thanks!

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

A shared hosting with SSH seems very unlikely. The cheapest I can think of is $25/month on a VPS plan.

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

you won't get ssh on a shared host. reason being is that with root access, you can look at other peoples stuff too

4. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. That's strange though, since I thought that SSH is how you get Rails apps up and running?

5. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

A Small Orange give SSH access on request… don't know about SVN/Git, but for everything else I'd highly recommend them :)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

But you don't have to have root access just to do SSH. I'm with Dreamhost and can SSH into my account. Very handy for setting up cron jobs.

Dreamhost also has Ruby on Rails, SVN (not sure about the git part), PHP of course (4 or 5), 24/7 email support, additional domains registration, unlimited subdomains, 97-day money back guarantee, and a reasonable uptime as far as my experience. The pricing varies depending on your plan, but can be as low as $6/month. Plan details.

7. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with Dreamhost. Couldn't resist the 77 cents per month price with promo code 777. ;)

8. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

That's theft right there. Haha, kidding of course.

The one thing I love about dreamhost is all the features they offer. SVN, SSH, external MySQL access, they have Java installed on their machines... tons of little things. They are beginning to migrate away from their downtime-prone centralized architecture which should improve their reliability. Good choice.

9. jimishjoban macrumors member

Hey,

I think HostGator should be a nice choice for you. I recently got it to host my rails application.

They have all gems installed and provides jailed SSH access, which you need for running your rails app.... They have 3 plans for shared hosting, I guess, but baby plan for 8$ has unlimited domains... if thats what you need...

I would strongly recommend HostGator for rails hosting.