Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santino80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Hi,

i'm looking for a really silent HDD for my MB Pro. The HDD in my stock base MB Pro is a FUJITSU MHY2200BH. It makes a permanent "fan-like" background noise. Can someone recommend a silent 200-250GB HDD? (doesn't matter whether 5400rpm or 7200rpm).

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Hi,

i'm looking for a really silent HDD for my MB Pro. The HDD in my stock base MB Pro is a FUJITSU MHY2200BH. It makes a permanent "fan-like" background noise. Can someone recommend a silent 200-250GB HDD? (doesn't matter whether 5400rpm or 7200rpm).

Fujitsu tends to be a quiet drive. I sincerely doubt you will find something much quieter. The Hitachi 7k200 for example is a much louder drive.

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
The only way you are going to get a silent HDD is to use a solid state drive. Unfortunately, it will cost much more for much less storage.

If you get a lower rpm drive (4200 or 5400rpm), they tend to be quieter than the 7200rpm drives (but slower drive also means lower performance).

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I've personally never heard a 7200rpm drive that is quieter than a 5400rpm drive. The "spinning fan" noise you dislike on your current drive is almost certain to be louder on a 7200rpm drive.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
Hi,

pardon the ignorance here..
are you working inside a vacuum?

if the current HDD is loud for you.
the only way to go is a solid state drive SDD, just like the one used on the MBA

if it bothers you that much.. i think you really should consider the solid state drive

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I have the Hitachi drive 5400 rpm and I only hear it when it is doing some intense work. Most of the time is is completely silent. And even if it does noises, it is silent , not too loud. I'm very happy with this HD.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Hi,

The constant "fan-like" noise is probably just that - the fan :s

I have a 2.5 Penryn, with a 7200rpm HD. All I can hear is the FAN constantly making a low noise, at ~2000rpm. I hear the hard drive clicking when reading/writing significant amounts of data, but nothing other than that (and the occasional "click/tick" from the heads parking/moving.

Are you sure it's your HD?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
The constant "fan-like" noise is probably just that - the fan :s

I have a 2.5 Penryn, with a 7200rpm HD. All I can hear is the FAN constantly making a low noise, at ~2000rpm. I hear the hard drive clicking when reading/writing significant amounts of data, but nothing other than that (and the occasional "click/tick" from the heads parking/moving.

Are you sure it's your HD?

Well, it depends on the individual and the environment. At home I can easily hear the 7200rpm drive on my 2.6GHz Penryn. This is separate from the fan noise which I hear also. I respectly disagree with all those who say their drive is silent. It may be relatively silent but it's not silent. Put the MBP next to an MBA with an SSD drive in a quiet house at night and the difference is startling. The difference might not matter to you when you use the MBP (like in an office) but it's not silent.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Well, it depends on the individual and the environment. At home I can easily hear the 7200rpm drive on my 2.6GHz Penryn. This is separate from the fan noise which I hear also. I respectly disagree with all those who say their drive is silent. It may be relatively silent but it's not silent. Put the MBP next to an MBA with an SSD drive in a quiet house at night and the difference is startling. The difference might not matter to you when you use the MBP (like in an office) but it's not silent.

I agree, it isn't silent.

It's 11:30pm here, and almost fully silent in my house. I can hear a constant fan noise, and of course the read/write clicking from my drive, when required. That's all I can hear though, relating to the drive, not a constant noise, just the clicking, which could be quieter when it happens, I agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.