Looking for slideshow software that loops slideshow and updates included images

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petestein1, Oct 29, 2009.

1. petestein1 macrumors member

All, I'm hoping someone here comes up with a quick answer. Here's the deal:

I have a big party Saturday. There's a photobooth where people can take their own photos. These photos end up in a folder.

I have a 50" TV in the other room where I'd like a slideshow of the photos playing as they're being taken. So the slideshow software has to 1) loop (not tough to find), and 2) monitor a folder for new files and add them into the slideshow on the fly.

Finally, I'd love the software to be free or low-cost. ;)

Any ideas?

Picasa for Mac doesn't loop (despite saying it will) and doesn't allow for control of the slideshow speed. And while it claims to "continuously monitor" a folder, it really only seems to see new photos when you fire up the app.

iPhoto? I don't think it will work either. I don't know of any way for it to detect new photos in a folder automatically -- photos have to be "imported" don't they?

No web-based option works 'cause each image will be upwards of 5 megs -- it'll take forever to upload.

Any ideas? Oh, and thanks in advance.

-Peter

2. eprepguy macrumors newbie

looking for same but may have solution...

Hi Petestein,
    I am trying to do the exact same thing and havent found anything yet for the Mac. I am setting up a similar deal for an event and am just going to use the built-in Mac Screensaver program. The Ken Burns Effect full image show does not loop or recognize new images dumped into the folder, but the "Collage" style does! Check it out! Now I need to figure out how to get Automator to constantly watch a folder and transfer the incoming jpegs to the display computer. Automator will transfer files present when played but doesnt recognize new files. workin on it!

3. petestein1 thread starter macrumors member

Oops, I should have posted -- I found a solution.

I used a piece of software called Toucan. It worked like a charm. As far as transferring the files, I didn't have to -- thanks to the magic of Leopard's file sharing, I just pointed Toucan on Machine B to the folder on Machine A where the camera dumped the photos.

Let me know if that works for you!

-Peter

4. ajlowndes macrumors newbie

dude. Thank you! You so saved me a lot of work and a lot of fiddling around trying to find a way to script this myself.