Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
ordered the s8 looking for a smart watch
I have a Apple Watch I basically just use the activity app for the most part.
Any recommendations would be great looking for something nice tho
Thx.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I would go with the Gear S2 or S3. S2 is nicely priced if you can get a refurb on sale for about $100 or so on eBay. The S3 offers Samsung Pay fully though, so it would be a more comprehensive smartwatch if you go for the cellular model. Might have to wait a bit for a price drop though.

Reactions: mrskullfreak

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
ordered the s8 looking for a smart watch
I have a Apple Watch I basically just use the activity app for the most part.
Any recommendations would be great looking for something nice tho
Thx.

If you just want the activity part. Get a Gear S2 or S2 Classic wifi version. It's cheaper than the newer watches. Also has auto sleep detection which works very well.

Note: It works with HERE maps not Google maps. HERE maps IMO is better than Apple maps.

But if you want to spend money, get the Gear S3.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I would go with the Gear S2 or S3. S2 is nicely priced if you can get a refurb on sale for about $100 or so on eBay. The S3 offers Samsung Pay fully though, so it would be a more comprehensive smartwatch if you go for the cellular model. Might have to wait a bit for a price drop though.
Those watches only work well with android,the Felix series works equal with android and iOS devices.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I got a Gear S3 Frontier the same day i got my S8+. So far it's a rock solid performer. The battery life embarrasses the hell out of Apple Watch.

It's also worth saying I think Samsung Health is better than Apple healthkit.

It took me about a day or two of use to dial in the settings to where I was content. It's got quite a few configuration options.

It's a big Watch though. You'll need at least medium sized wrists to pull it off.

The bezel interface is the best in the industry. Samsung knocked it out the park. LTE and GPS are great additions as well.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Those watches only work well with android,the Felix series works equal with android and iOS devices.

Considering OP has the Apple Watch, that is the best iOS smart watch companion since it's fully immersive into the ecosystem. Though, a dual mobile OS watch does give options. There is Android Wear, Fitbit, amongst others.
[doublepost=1493066804][/doublepost]
I got a Gear S3 Frontier the same day i got my S8+. So far it's a rock solid performer. The battery life embarrasses the hell out of Apple Watch.

It's also worth saying I think Samsung Health is better than Apple healthkit.

It took me about a day or two of use to dial in the settings to where I was content. It's got quite a few configuration options.

It's a big Watch though. You'll need at least medium sized wrists to pull it off.

The bezel interface is the best in the industry. Samsung knocked it out the park. LTE and GPS are great additions as well.

Considering what the AW Series 1 and 2 are, it's not hard to surpass Apple's latest iterations. A circular design, LTE/GPS combo, carriers supporting the device with plans, Samsung Pay. What's not to like?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I picked up the gear s2 classic on ebay for cheap (mint condition) and love it! it takes some time learning it vs apple watch, but I use Samsung Health (and Map My run) for my workouts and love the notification and smart watch features as well.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
As far as I know the Gear S3 is a Tizen OS watch that supports iOS and Android. Meaning you will need a Samsung phone to fully use it to it's full potential. For example, all the default apps would be Samsung's own versions Just beware of that.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Why isn't there a full featured Android based watch that we can use on any android device? (not counting samsung). I would totally buy into it and my favorite android phone. The Apple Watch is so seamless and works so well that i'll be stuck with an Apple phone yearly for the foreseeable future. The experience is just so good.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Why isn't there a full featured Android based watch that we can use on any android device? (not counting samsung). I would totally buy into it and my favorite android phone. The Apple Watch is so seamless and works so well that i'll be stuck with an Apple phone yearly for the foreseeable future. The experience is just so good.
There are full featured Android watches.
All of LG range of smart watches fulfill your criteria.
I'm looking forward to the LG Watch Sport myself. That's like the Pixel/Nexus of smart watches!

Reactions: akuma13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.