Looking for software suggestions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slovi, Dec 26, 2011.

1. slovi, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

slovi macrumors newbie

Was wondering if people could list some of your "essential" software. (Or can suggest some good blogs like how http://www.freewaregenius.com is for window applications). :confused:

I already installed..

Adium
    Eclipse
    Google Chrome
    Miro
    TeamViewer
    VLC
    xCode
    xPad

For confusion:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. slovi thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I am not looking for those. I guess I wasn't clear. :(. I meant looking for suggestions on software that is not popular and seen on every list everywhere you look.

Like small things that few people use. Examples on windows would be the hyperdesktop and puu.sh uploaders. Or the urlhistorymod and and taskbarshuffle programs.

Those kind of things. :(

4. simsaladimbamba

Then you have to edit your thread title accordingly * and maybe also state, what areas of software you might be interested in.

* To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

5. slovi thread starter macrumors newbie

What's wrong with the title? It is descriptive. I edited the main post. :D. I am not sure I understand about what you mean by "areas of software". I am interested in everything.

6. simsaladimbamba

Thread title: Looking for little known productivity software recommendations

Other than that, I can't help, as the terms "small things that a few people use" or "little known software" are not that specific, as one does not really know, if the small app is widely used or not.
    I for instance use BetterTouchTool, DropBox, TextExpander, AlarmClock, gfxCardStatus, SMC FanControl, Alfred and iStat Menus, of which only DropBox seems to be widely recognised outside such discussion boards.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just because someone finds an app to be "essential" to them, doesn't mean it's going to be obscure. The most helpful apps are usually adopted by a large number of users, and therefore will be on most of the dozens of existing software recommendation threads. To say you're not going to read the links that simsaladimbamba posted indicates you don't really want answers, since you have no idea what apps are mentioned in those threads until you read them.

I agree the thread title isn't helpful at all. "looking for suggestions" could mean you want suggestions on what kind of sleeve or bag to buy, what to use your MacBook for, whether people think you should back up or not, whether you got a good deal or not, etc. It doesn't even indicate you're looking for software recommendations.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

9. slovi thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know, I guess you can usually get a "feel" for how popular something is. I don't know how to describe it. :(.

For gfxCardStatus, what exactly is the point of switching? Wouldn't the os handle that already?

Thank you for that, I found a couple things in there. :)

Nonono, you misunderstood too. I took a look at his links and went through a few topics. Then posted. You're as bad as me with making faulty assumptions. :D

How's this new title?

Thank you I found couple of things. :)

10. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but sometimes applications want to use the dedicated GPU (dGPU) instead of the integrated graphics processor (IGP), thus having the choice to select the actual unit is nice. gfxCardStatus also provides users of the 2008 and 2009 MBPs like me to switch the GPU without logging out and in again.

Better, but still the same general mishmash as all the other threads asking the same.