looking for software to generator barcodes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sunflowerfibers, Jul 22, 2009.

1. sunflowerfibers macrumors newbie

for new inventory and have the barcodes go into mac excel to be able to keep track of inventory.

let me explain - i am trying to update my yarn shop because business is growing some and would like to computerized the inventory coming in and also be able to scan the barcode when customers purchase it and than give them a receipt.

Very new at this. I have been just writing the receipts out and marking all the inventory by hand with a code. Now the business is growing some and it is taking to long for all of that.
    any suggestions.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

What you are looking for is call "Point of sale" software that is tied to an inventory system. Excel is not a database. If you try and use it as one you will bump into it's limitation quickly. The big difference is that excel dos not enforce any data integriy rules, for example it is hapy to let you sell a SKU you don't have.

What you want is a turn-kep point of sail package, there are many to choose from, preice as all over the map. some are even free.

3. peetah macrumors member

Apple has a small list of POS software that works on a Mac....

http://www.apple.com/business/solutions/retail.html

I highly recommend you get a system that's based on anticipated needs in the very near future such as inventory tracking, credit cards, stuff like that.

Good luck!

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

^^^
    Just click on the "learn more" link under Retail POS and you can read about the solutions that apple has to offer.

5. sunflowerfibers thread starter macrumors newbie

New business and inventory and customers

Ok, i am starting a new yarn business and not sure you this all works. i would like to have barcodes created for all the yarn with price and description. i was thinking that way i could track inventory and be able to process sales more efficiently than writing everything out. so does the POS software let you scan barcodes and create receipts.

sorry all the questions. new at this part of the business but not at selling yarn.

just trying to make it more efficient and easier to do inventory at the end of the year.
    thanks