Looking for software to store articles and information

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Broc27, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Broc27 macrumors member

Hello there!

I am looking for some sort of software that, from my limited research, doesn't seem to exist.

I work as a consultant and I read articles and books all over the web that contain information to which I'd like to come back once in a while. I'm looking for some software in which I could store the said articles in a way that make it possible to search them with keywords. Being able to write small summaries would be a great bonus and I'd also like to be able to keep references to paper books and articles.

I tried using Delicious and as good as it is as an online solution I need something more robust and that I can consult offline. I'll probably be copying and pasting articles to make sure to be able to read them once the links are broken.

Anyone know what I could use? I'm of course willing to pay a price since it will help me tremendously in my work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I use InstaPaper for this purpose. I have folders (tools, ideas, etc) and I file the article in there once i read them.

3. steveoc macrumors regular

I think DEVONthink would meet your needs. It's got browser extensions/bookmarklets that let you save a site as a bookmark, web archive, pdf, or html with a field from comments. Then it sends you tuck it into any folder in the DB with a slick interface.

There are multiple ways to enter files into it with drag and drop, services, or through an import. It also manages pdfs, iWork files, MS Office files, OpenOffice, and more depending on version. It performs text searches within these files.

http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/devonthink/comparison.html

Price range from $25 for DEVONnote to $150 for Pro Office. Pro office includes integrated OCR making it easy to input print materials quickly.

Try their free 150 hr use time demo.

4. Broc27 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to you both

Thanks a lot to both of you!

I'm trying InstaPaper right now and I like it but it says on the website:

"Instapaper isn’t meant for permanent, long-term archival of everything you’ve ever wanted to read." What it says it can't do is exactly what I'm trying to do. There's a way to download the archives on the hard drive but with a limit of 2 000 articles. I'll look into DEVONthink now.

Thanks again and if anybody else has other ideas I'll be taking a look!

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Evernote is my first thought. Very fast at clipping web pages and syncs to its own server and indexes documents. it also has an OCR scanner and indexing engine on its server which performs very well on scanned documents or images.

You can also look at Yojimbo, Together, MacJournal, etc.

Yep takes a different approach and aims to index office documents, PDFs and scans on your system rather than importing into a database.

EDIT: also VoodooPad

6. Broc27 thread starter macrumors member

So many choices

These all seem interesting. So which one is the best ??? Hehe, just kidding...

I don't feel like downloading every demo so I'm reading about them a bit. What I'm looking for mostly is archival of web articles with notes, searchable by keyword or date. Those do much more than that.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks a lot, I owe you.

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

You could try Circus Ponies NoteBook.

If you're looking for what's best, then you'll need to try the demos and determine for yourself what's best for your needs.