Looking for some advice...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fsteddie, Apr 2, 2011.

1. fsteddie macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I am a recent Mac convert from Windows and ABSOLUTELY love my Mac and will never go back to Windows. I have the 2010 MBP 15" 2.4 i5 that I have upgraded with 8gb Kingston memory and a Western Digital Black Scorpio 750gb drive. I am now considering adding an ssd to the mix and was looking at the OWC 115 mercury extreme pro with the data doubler.

My setup would go like this...
    I was going to put the western digital in the optibay and the ssd in the regular hd slot. I wanted to use the ssd for boot up and applications only and use the western digital for storage. I.E. move my downloads folder, iphoto and aperture libraries, and itunes folders to the western digital in the optibay.

My fist question is is this even possible? To have the ssd in the regular hd spot and the western digital in the optibay? Is it possible to move the downloads folder to the western digital and still keep the folder icon in my home folder for it the same so that it looks like it still resides on my startup drive but in reality it resides on the second drive?
    Since I already have an established itunes library, can I copy this library to the western digital and point itunes to this library instead of the one it makes in my home folder?

I have read some of the issues with ssd's and the constant writing on them so I though if I use it in this manner (for faster boot times and quicker loading of programs) it would cut down on the wear and problems associated with large file or umcompressable file writing on the drive.

Thanks everyone, I have researched a lot about what I am trying to do but it seems no one has tried exactly what I want to do.

Eddie

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

3. fsteddie thread starter macrumors newbie

Bozz2006,

Thanks for the link... I checked it out and it looks like that is the best way to get all my large media content off the boot drive. I will use this when I get my ssd. But is this a good setup in the first place? Since my ssd will only be 115GB I don't have the space for all of my stuff.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing. Reinstall SL after putting in the ssd and the Hd. Move my home folder to the JD and from a clone copy over my itunes, iphoto, and aperture libraries and that should automatically point those applications to the respected folders on my newly created home folder on the Hd. Is this a correct assumption?