Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
my 2013 MBP came with a DVD drive that I hardly use.

Are there any options for me to swap that drive with another peripheral? If so what are my options? I did read somewhere that you could swap the drive for a SSD. Any ideas are welcome

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Is it a clean fit? Are we talkin about swapping out the optical drive for a nicely fitted SSD card holder thingy?

Yep, Optibay caddy (or similar), replaces the Optical drive and provides a mounting and connection for an SSD or HDD.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yep, Optibay caddy (or similar), replaces the Optical drive and provides a mounting and connection for an SSD or HDD.

Would replacing the optical drive with a SSD also help conserve some battery as it requires less energy?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Would replacing the optical drive with a SSD also help conserve some battery as it requires less energy?

Optical drives don't use much energy, especially when they're not being used. A SSD will probably draw more power.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Is it a clean fit? Are we talkin about swapping out the optical drive for a nicely fitted SSD card holder thingy?

Yes, but it takes some courage. I replaced the DVD of a MacBook Pro 13" from mid-2010. You have to disconnect a really fragile looking drive and speaker connector, and the speaker assembly had to be removed partially.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

You can achieve that if you put OS and Apps on the SSD and Data on the HDD if the SSD is in the Optical bay and the HDD in the drive bay, then if you set HDD to spin down to conserve power when possible in the power options that is what happens.

My battery is down to 91% of original capacity, if the HDD is spun down then I can get 8hrs battery life out of it - not because you replaced the optical as that is mostly spun down in any case, but because you allow the HDD to power down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.