Looking for some basic recording advice...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Hackint0sh, May 20, 2010.

1. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

I've been using Garage band for a couple of years now. I took a few years off away from music, but I'm ready to start recording again (as a hobby). I have a copy of Logic Studio 8, that I've never used. I have a few questions I was hoping some of the pros up here could set me straight on:

1) What software would I use to expand the number of samples available to me in Logic Studio? Are there third party apps that expand the library, or would that be what Logic Pro gives me? Any recommendations?

2) Same with Drums. The number of drum loops available with Garage band and Apple's Drum Pack for GB, (which I purchased years ago) is pretty paltry. Is there a reasonably priced app or plugin that I can purchase to increase my percussion options in Logic?

3) I've been reading the reviews on Propellerhead's new recording software, Record. Apparently it works pretty transparently with Reason (without requiring Rewire). Has anyone here tried the Propellerhead Reason/Record combo pack? If so how do you like it? I ask because Logic 8 seemed so........un-logical when i tried it years ago. :rolleyes:

Hardware-wise I think I'm OK. I simply plan on using my old firepod for an input device. But I'm really clueless about the type of software I should be using (hence this post). I only know that increasing the number keyboard and drum samples/loops is relatively important to me at this point. That said, I'm sure once I jump in I'll see a need for other "things". So to avoid the newbie frustration I'm likely to encounter when piecing together my "studio" I thought someone could give me some idea as to what those "other things" might be.

Musically, I'm primarily recording new age based stuff, with some acoustic and electric guitar in it. I'm ashamed to say this, but I've never used any software based keyboard samples in my previous recording with Garage band....... just used the patches inside my Alesis Quadrasynth, so I'm pretty new to the the whole concept of sampling.

Any pointers anyone is willing to give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys! :)

2. deej999 macrumors regular

logic studio comes with about 40GB of samples, loops, instruments, sounds. Explore it before going and spending blind on instruments and samples.

Yes, there are better 3rd party drum loops and instruments around. Many different instruments, like DFH, EZdrummer and more samples than are possible to name here.

deej

3. Hackint0sh thread starter macrumors member

Hackint0sh

4. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I use EZDrummer for drums. It is good if you want to program your own beats. It is a virtual MIDI instrument. You can audition different drum beats (MIDI patterns). Find one you like and then drag it into a Logic track. Once you have the MIDI pattern in Logic you can edit and customize it there. EZDrummer also has expansion packs available for different drum and percussion sounds. There is also Superior Drummer which is the big brother to EZDrummer.

5. Hackint0sh thread starter macrumors member

Hackint0sh

Thanks for the lead on EZDrummer. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. :D

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

If your tinkering with buying record why not just stick with garageband? Plenty of sample packs for it and it's a great app.

Basic recording advise? Too many people worry about the engineering and hours over picking presets - not enough people make the music - go, makeith and be merry!

7. Hackint0sh thread starter macrumors member

Hackint0sh

Garage Band is too basic for my needs. I need to be able to do things like change envelopes and/or effects within the same track in a song. While I admit that Garage Band IS a great app for what it is, it's simply too limited for my needs.

I'm asking these questions because I'm about to spend a couple thousand dollars on audio software, and I want to make sure I get a system I'm happy with for the next few years.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Perhaps consider Logic Express 9, it would split the difference between Garage band (too simple) and Logic Studio (too complex) judging by what you've stated. Logic Studio 8 is a great program if you want to spend the time to learn it. Perhaps spend the money on tuturials at macprovideo:
    http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application

If you scroll to the bottom you can see the Logic 8 secific tutorials are still available.

I've heard good things about Ableton Live but I think its more electronica/DJ based....perhaps Reason might be a good way to go and integrate it w/ Logic.

In the end I agree w/ musio that its a trap to get too concerned about the gear. Consider it like a running tape machine (doesn't need to be 'upgraded' every year) and just go make your music. Its the music that matters not the software.