Looking for some decent desktop speakers.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DoctorRamen, Jun 20, 2010.

1. DoctorRamen Guest

DoctorRamen

Okay, so I'm planning on purchasing the Sony KDL-22EX308 HDTV
    It was PCHDMI or something like that so I can use my Mac mini with it, but I was wondering how will the 1280x720 resolution be on the 22" screen?
    My current MacBook is only 13" and has 1280x800.
    Will the quality be worse, or better?
    I'm just worried.
    Thanks for any help,
    Alex

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That TV you wanna buy has the following display specifications:

Display
    Aspect Ratio : 16:9
    Display Resolution : 1366x768 (WXGA)
    Dynamic Contrast Ratio : 60,000:1
    Screen Size (measured diagonally) : 22"(21.6")
    Viewing Angle (Right/Left) : 176(88/88)
    Viewing Angle (Up/Down) : 176(88/88)

via http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...&productId=8198552921666081156#specifications

As it only has 1366 x 768 native pixel, it will show 1280 x 720 pixel just fine.

TVs display content different than computer displays, they are more soften, as they display moving images all the time, instead of a static "image(s)" of a computer display, which most often does not need 25 frames per second to display the contents of a browser.

That's also why a TV is not a good computer display, as text is too blurry.

3. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

What do you recommend as a monitor for the Mac mini then?
    I'd like full HD, but I'd also like to be able to play my 360 on it.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you want to have a monitor then?

If you want 1920 x 1080, monitors with a size of 24" should be fine, just make sure, they have the right inputs for your XBox and Mac Mini (HDMI?).
    Btw, Full HD is a marketing term, as 720p is HD as 1080i/p is HD. Just two different "standards", like NTSC and PAL.

Use MRoogle to find plenty of (hundreds, maybe even thousands) threads about monitor recommendations.

Or if you want to get monitor recommendations here, change your thread title to something more descriptive like this:
    Looking for 1920 x 1080 monitor for Mac Mini and XBox.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I highly recommend the Samsung XL2370, its a led backlit display and has very good colors. It has hdmi built in as well for xbox 360/PS3 and the new mac mini.

6. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

Will a 1920x1080 monitor be able to keep up with the Xbox?
    I'd be willing to pay up to $400.
    Thank you very much for your efforts. :]

7. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

The Samsung XL2370HD looks amazing, but I have no idea where to buy it online.

8. tuna macrumors 6502

1920x1080 is the max output of the xbox system, although most games are actually at a lower resolution. Usually 720p, sometimes even lower.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I bought mine from Best Buy (last one from all 5 Best Buys near me) for $289, great deal! But if I had to buy it again (was thinking about it going dual displays with the new mac mini would be perfect setup), I'd order from Amazon.

10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

11. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

I'm going with the Samsung XL2370, if it doesn't have built in speakers, what do you recommend?

Anyone know about the pricing of the Samsung XL2370HD?

12. iTiki macrumors 6502

I'm looking at the 2311 with a new mini to replace my computer at work.:D

13. Zion21 macrumors newbie

Just got this monitor from amazon today and it is stunning. Really great price with no tax from too!

14. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

15. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

what do you want the speakers for actually , i know to listen to wahtever is displayed on the screen , no i mean do you need really near perfect sound , or just enough so your ears dont bleed , for the later i just bought some little creative i-trigue 250 speakers for under £10 new on ebay [​IMG]
    ok the bass wont demolish the foundations of your house , neither will you hear your music already from 5 blocks away (for that purpose you need to spend about £10000 + ), but for listening to itunes while working or watching a film they do a really good job as thats what they had been made to do and they look quiet nice next to the mini and a white/silver lcd tv too and the clear front facia can be swapped for a red /blue /green or black one

for that price you just cant get better and i would even say they can keep up (not as loud ) with my Harman Kardon GLA-55 which nearly cost 100 times what the i-trigue 250 cost

16. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

17. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

I definitely want the quality to be the same or better than my Black MacBook speakers.

18. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the ones i mentioned above are definitely better then the internal ones of a macbook and
    i mean for £10 its always worth to try or ?
    better then buying some speakers for £500 and getting disappointed
    i was really positive surprised from the sound they produce

and really compared to these quiet expensive harman kardon gla55 i have they stand their ground very well

19. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

Thanks for that recommendation, but I want to be able to connect the speakers to my monitor because I'll have my mini and my Xbox hooked up to it so I want to be able to play sound both from the mini and the Xbox.

I was thinking about the Logitech Z-5 speakers, but I don't see how I could get sound from the Xbox to play from them 'cause it connects via USB.

20. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i am not so much a fan of usb speakers , they just lag a bit oompf as the proweroutput of the usb port is next to not existent

your monitor should have a earphone plug thats where you can connect the creative speakers to and it should have audio in where you can connect the mini to or the xbox and there are these adapter plugs to connect 2 sources to one port

21. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

If you only want a two-channel experience, I know none better than the Creative GigaWorks T20s.

Suitable for movies, games and music just about equally - they're at their happiest when they're being run loud, so you can sometimes need to crank them up to get the desired effect.

But they're great, in my opinion. The two people to whom I've recommended them in the past have been delighted with them, also.

22. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

Thank you both for the replies,

Would I be able to connect these:
    http://us.store.creative.com/Inspire-T12/M/B0028N6YH0.htm

To my Samsung XL2370?

Would it possible for the mac mini just connect to the monitor via DVI and the Xbox via HDMI and just connect the Inspire t12 to the monitor itself? Would that work?

I'm looking for the least amount of cables so I don't want to have run a cable from the speaker to the mini to the Xbox or whatever.

23. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hang on there, mate... why are you connecting your 360 to your Mini?!

Oh, okay. I read it again and it made more sense.

Well, if the T12s are like the T20s, there are two 3.5mm input jacks - I can see that there's one on the front. Which Mini do you have? Because I think the 2009 Minis and earlier can't carry audio over DVI, so you'd need a second input on the speakers to connect to the Mini directly.

24. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

not sure ,but i never came across any really BAD speakers from creative , they offer good value for the bug

another good option for you especially would be the TEUFEL concept B200 usb

they are a exeption in terms of usb speakers as the speakers are not directly powerd the usb connects only to the integraded soundcard in a separate box where you can connect your computer to and your mp3 player , games console whatever you like at the same time , saves the plug in plug out procedure of other speakers and act at the same time as a usb hub but is mains powered

http://www.teufelaudio.com/pc-speakers/concept-b200usb.html

25. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

I'll be getting the new mini.
    What I'd really like is to have the speakers connected directly to the monitor. So that I'd just have the connect the mini and Xbox via HDMI and then the audio come out by the speakers connected to the monitor. Is this even possible?

I was looking into a simple HDMI splitter so I wouldn't have to constantly unplug and plug in the HDMI cable.

Would this work?

I wasn't sure about the audio either, but it comes with an HDMI to a DVI
    adapter so I don't know what that does.

I'm pretty Tech savvy, but I've always had a MacBook.