Looking for some feedback

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by lamar777, Nov 4, 2009.

1. lamar777 macrumors member

I am very new to designing websites and have learned mostly by poking around and looking at the code others have written. I have several projects for friends in progress and am almost finished with my 1st website which will eventually be my business site and personal portfolio.

I would love some feedback on what I have so far. The structure of the site is pretty set and I am now adding content daily.

I took a few unconventional directions like a flash background and pageless navigation using a dropdown menu scheme which I haven't seen before. The most fleshed out dropdown is the 'prints for sale' section so check that to get an idea of what the others will be like.

Let me know what you like or dislike. http://www.white-salamander.com

Thanks in advance

2. nuxx macrumors member

nuxx

It's an interesting design. I like it, but it re-sizes my current browser window (Firefox and Safari on a Mac) to fit the dimensions of your site when it loads or I click the navigation links. A definite no-no IMHO.

3. lamar777 thread starter macrumors member

yea need to find a different workaround

I like having my content in a div that is centered so no matter the browser window size the back ground color just acts as a border but the flash background layer and the html layer have to be positioned absolutely for the flash to not cover the html so I couldn't do that but I agree resizing the window is not the best solution.

4. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

I do not like that clicking one of the navigation links reloads the page. As a user I would expect it to do nothing, or make the current content stay even when moving my mouse away to another navigation link.

5. lamar777 thread starter macrumors member

Good Tip

I didn't even notice that it did that because I never even thought to click :)

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Your fixed-width layout is TOO WIDE. A large percentage of users are still at 1024x768 and horizontal scrollbars are a bad thing.

Your menus are almost unusable in Safari. I can mouseover, but when I move the mouse to select something the menu disappears. I had to try three times before I could actually click a menu item.

As an aside, I can't help but smile at the irony expressed in your "Web Design" section. You claim to be intrigued by web standards and CSS design, yet your own site design depends very much on Flash.

My $.02

7. lamar777 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

I forget that many users are on 1024 that just seems so small to me but it is probably better to go for more common sizes.

I am starting to think that while the idea of the flash slideshow in the background is cool that all of the other compromises I am making just aren't worth it. the basic look would be very easy to get without that.