Looking for some good in-ear headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by whyapplewhy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. whyapplewhy macrumors member

The stock ones I received from apple with my touch are not bad, but I am wanting something that is a bit better. My main concern is the sound obviously, meaning good bass, and reaching the highs and lows. I want to get something in the price range from $10-30 but really don't know much about these brands, and stuff.

Here are some I have been looking at on amazon, tell me what you think:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Aluminum..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MMDCGD4477NAGT7H19P

http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Premium...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260324921&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Lift-Audio-Gr...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260324956&sr=8-1

Tell me what you think about those, or suggest some other good ones.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. MTI macrumors 65816

Generally, at the price point, you're not getting much more in terms of audio component quality, but more in terms of "sealing" the ear canal for more bass. You may be able to achieve the same result by using an ear fitting cover over that snaps over the stock earbuds.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you can get a real pair of CX-300s I'd recommend those.

4. whyapplewhy thread starter macrumors member

I can go higher in price if the quality is much better. I have had tons of problems in the past with headphones getting broken (most the time on of the ears just stop working), so I suppose if I could get a real good quality one it would be worth it, but it would also need a good warranty on it, I wouldn't feel comfortable paying $50+ for headphones with all the problems I have ahd with them.

And thanks, I'll check out those CX-300.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I generally think that that would be a good idea. Companies like Shure offer a two-year warranty. I can't speak to the Klipsch S4i, but those are the recommendation that seem to get the most votes for the under $100 market.

6. whyapplewhy thread starter macrumors member

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

research Head-Direct (HIFIMAN) RE2's. I just got them last week and I like them. They're not "bass heavy" though, and have a more true sound.

8. whyapplewhy thread starter macrumors member

9. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

JVC Air Cushions and JVC Marshmallows are great and less than $20 off amazon
    if you want a headset (has mic), get the NuForce NE-7Ms for $50

10. luna1234 macrumors newbie

I suggest this in-ear headhone, it provides premium sound and superior bass. And it has soft silicone ear pads which provide superior comfort and stay in-ear fit. And this in-ear headphone costs more lower than the NuForce NE-7Ms. Hope this helps.

11. combat macrumors member

combat

And if you want good quality and looks. Check out Skullcandy's line of in-ears. Awesome head-phones too.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's more expensive than what you're looking at, but I've got the Klipsch S4i and they're really excellent.

13. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

i thought these sounded great when they stayed in my ear -- but turning my head ever so slightly would cause the seal to break losing all the great audio quality. and yes, i tried all the fitted pieces that came w/ them...

14. ihonda macrumors 68000

i like the apple in-ear and for $40 on ebay u cant beat them.

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I really like the current Apple In Ear earphones as well.

I need a second pair of earphones so I just ordered the Klipsch S4i. I have read that these earphones need up to 100 hours of burn in time. So I will listen to them as new for a while then burn them for four days or longer with a pink noise generator and see how they sound then.

S-

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I haven't had any issues at all; do you do an over-the-ear fitting? Also, you should make sure that the tips are aligned properly with the body of the earbuds (they're ovular rather than circular).

I believe they can also be fit with tips from Shure and Etymotics if the stock stuff doesn't work for you.

17. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

so i used to have the vmoda duos for my original iphone and they worked flawlessly for me thru heavy use (despite horrible reviews) and had them for almost 2 years. i upgraded to the 3gs and the mic didnt work on calls and the click function started to act up. so deciding i want another pair that works w/ the 3gs i bought / returned 3 pairs:

• Klipsch Image S4i Earphones with Microphone (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW780LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTA4NDA4MDU): when they did fit in my ear, i thought sounded pretty decent and achieved a great seal at times but in my ears, came loose too easily and i figured id try other options...

returned them and got

• Shure SE115m+ Sound Isolating Headset with Remote and Mic (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX776ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTI5ODI0NTU): i thought these were terrible -- the sound was only acceptable sitting in a quiet room. the bass was totally lacking in these and were uncomfortable in my ear after an hour of listening. also, on phone calls the other end sounded as if they were using a tin can to call. i tried them on my bike and i could hear all the outside noise -- giving up on them, i figure id just go back to vmoda because thats what fits my ear best

returned them and got

• V-Moda Vibe II Headset for iPod and iPhone (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TU018LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTA4NDQyMzU&p=2&s=topSellers): so right when i put these in my ear, the audio was just awesome and it fit my ear perfectly. i could move and shake my head around and the seal was perfect. the day after i got them, after an hour of use (iphone in my pocket), the right ear starts to crackle and them bam. no sound on the right side. i fiddle w/ the connection right at the phone jack and it fixes it -- but didnt really stress the cable to cause it in the first place. i thought i might get lucky and get another good pair of vmodas, but i was wrong -- believe the bad reviews.

i guess the search continues...

18. holyindian macrumors 6502

You cant go wrong with NuForce as mentioned by others aswell.

19. lavinci macrumors 6502

I'm using the Skullcandy Strikers for day-to-day use, but I have the Etymotic HF2, which are excellent in terms of noise reduction and sound quality.

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I got my Klipsch Image S4i in-ear headset today. I must say, the sound is the best I have heard in any price range the besides the Shure SE530 earphones.

Better than Apple's latest in-ear headset, better than any of the Etymotic head sets. Better than the NuForce.

The S4i boost bass just enough without having to use the iPod EQ. I don't like a lot of bass but most of the better earphones don't have enough without using the EQ. The sound stage is quite large. Classical music sounds great too.

On top of that, the 3 button remote supports all the function of the iPhone 3GS as well.

I am now burning the headset in with a pink noise generator. These things are supposed to sound even better when broken in. I'll see.....

Anyway, I give the Klipsch Image S4i in-ear headset a 5 out of 5 so far!

S-