Looking for some guidance

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AzDesertTroll, May 29, 2012.

1. AzDesertTroll macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

I m looking for some help / instruction / suggestions. I work primarily overseas in Iraq but had anticipated being stateside for an extended period so in late April I bought a 16g Verizon iPhone 4S, thinking it would be at least 60-90 day before I was deployed. Well I was deployed earlier than I hoped and it is my understanding for Verizon to unlock the phone it has to have been active for 60 days and since that was not the case I had them put a deployment hold on the phone / account so that I would not be billed while I was out of the country.

Now that I am over here I am finding that it would ease my work if I had an active smart phone, but I really don't want to pay the charges Verizon has for international plans. Since this is my first iPhone I am totally new to unlocking / jail breaking, to be honest I am not even sure what the terms mean.

What I would like to be able to do is use a local SIM card in my phone, pay a local bill for phone / data service, but when I get back stateside use my Verizon service without any problems.

So my questions are is it possible and how would I do it? Do I need to call Verizon back and have them reactivate my account / phone? Right now I can use the phone via wifi for just about everything but making calls (except on Skype) but when I loose wifi the camera is the only thing that works.

While Googling the topic I foundhttp://www.iphonejailbreakunlock.org/index?a=United-States&m=4s&p=Verizon&ref=adwm&

Is this something that I want? I don't mind paying for it if it does what I would like it....

Thanks in advance

2. AzDesertTroll thread starter macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Are you military? I'm pretty sure if you are they have to unlock it for you...

4. AzDesertTroll thread starter macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

I am not military, but Verizon put the same type of hold on my phones as they would for a deployed service member since I work for a company that supports Dept of State and I am in Iraq.

Like I said in the first post I am not sure that jail breaking will unlock my phone so that I can use a local SIM card but I thought I would post it up here and get some advice.

5. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

You can't unlock with a jailbreak. You're gonna have to buy an unlocked phone or convince verizon to unlock it for you. You may be able to find a 3GS or 4 unlocked at a decent price

6. AzDesertTroll thread starter macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

Thanks for the info, that is kinda what I was afraid it would turn out to be.

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

if they put you on the same hold contract as military, they might unlock it for you as well, give it a try.

8. AzDesertTroll thread starter macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

Sorry for the delay in getting back, t has been a little crazy here at work. I ended up having Verizon unlock it and I was able to put in a local SIM card so at this point no need to JB.

Thanks for the suggestions.