Looking for some help after accidental partitioning external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samanga, Feb 1, 2015.

1. samanga macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was searching the internet for help, and decided why not try a forum? Hopefully one or more of you would be able to help me!

So here is the story... Two days ago my new external hard drive came in the mail, and since it was not formatted for Mac, I wanted to partition it and make it Mac OS extended. Then I made the mistake... (very dumb mistake) of not realizing I had the old one plugged in as well, (both same size capacity and brand etc) and partitioned that one instead. Freaking out since this was my dads and he had a bunch of stuff on it, I searched and searched for recovery tools. I ended up using Disk Drill, and after a long long search, and 22 hours of recovering by writing onto another drive, I was able to get back some files. However I do not believe that they are all there :(

So for simplicity sake the drive with pictures on it will be named Disk A. So Disk A in the beginning I believe was also formatted Mac OS extended, and its partition however was only 1.5 TB, and the rest was free space. Its capacity however is 2 TB. I formatted Disk A with two partitions, one of them being a 1.5 TB of Mac OS Extended, and one 500 GB ExFat.

Note: when the thing finished recovering, under the partitions folder/HFS it saved a dmg file that was 1.5 TB, however that was just 1.5TB of emptiness. The name of the dmg was the name I assigned when making the new partition. It did recover about 700 GB of different files, but the HDD used to have about 1.3 TB of data...

Now I am not sure really what to do. I discovered my mistake almost instantly and did no writing onto the drive. I found something called TestDisk, but I am not sure if that would work for me. Any advice for me? Thanks!

Samanga

2. dyt1983, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.