Looking for some help with a Beige G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Daedalus256, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Long time since I posted here. I know this is a long shot but I figured maybe someone here can help.

I recently bought a Beige PowerMac G3 to complement my PM 6100 and I'm having some issues getting it to communicate with my network and it doesn't like to read ANY sort of disc.

First off I'll start with the disc issue since I don't really need networking if I get it resolved. Any disc that I try to put in (even blank CD-R's) it reads as ProDOS OK and asks if I want to initialize it. Obviously I don't and can't. This happens no matter where I burn a disc. I've tried burning using OSX 10.4 and Windows. No matter what it recognizes the disc as ProDOS OK and won't read it. It reads my MacOS 8 and MacOS 9.2.1 discs just fine because they're official Mac discs but it seriously won't read anything else.

I've looked online and verified that I have nearly all the extensions I need to read this and even my PM 6100 running OS8 will read discs I burn. The only thing I appear to be missing is "High Sierra Read Access" which is something that apparently came with OS8 but I cannot seem to find the extension on my OS8 disc.

Second. Networking. No matter what I set in TCP/IP this thing will not connect to ANYTHING on my network. I'm doing this through the wired connection on the motherboard. It DOES show activity on my router and AppleTalk WILL communicate but with 10.4.11 I can't connect to it for whatever reason. Web browsers don't work for crap. It just won't connect.

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated. The G3 is running OS 9.2.1 as I'm trying to do some testing with OS 9.

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Your CD drive might be dusty or it just doesn't like the brand of CD-Rs. My 8500's drive was gone after years and years of sitting. Is this a fresh copy of 10.4.11? I wonder if your network settings are messed up. Have you tried re-adding the interfaces from the Network prefpane?

3. Daedalus256 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have not tried this. Also this is a fresh copy of 10.4.11 that is installed on a Powerbook G4. Do you mean re-adding interfaces on the G4 or on the Beige?

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

The beige, that is the machine that can't connect, right?

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

appletalk from the 6100 to the beige should allow you to transfer files.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Is file sharing turned on? Have you verified the ethernet cabe you're using is good? Does AppleTalk fail to change ports from Modem/Printer to Ethernet? Under TCP/IP are you using DHCP settings through a router, or are you doing this manually? If you're trying to go directly from 6100 to Beige G3, are you using a crossover cable? These machines are too old to automatically configure a patch cable to work. If you're trying to connect to the 10.4 system FROM the 10.4 system, are you just looking on network browser or are you typing in the G3's IP address?