Looking for Some Home Security Cameras

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gator24765, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I currently have a two camera setup. It is the Panasonic home kit. The quality is poor and I don't like that you can view online on a computer.

I am looking for advice on something similar to a Nest Cam. This isn't for anything in-depth for high-security purposes. I mostly like to set them up to watch my dogs while I am at work. I do like the have one that is portable so I can move to view for security purposes when I am on vacation etc.

I like have an app and computer viewing access.

Thanks!

2. pjfan macrumors regular

I recently dove into a search for home cameras. Honestly, I struggled between legit cameras and functionality (remote viewing) -- specifically, ease of use. Here is what I've settled on -- I'm waiting for Canary Plus (or whatever it's called). HomeKit integration will make it dynamite for what I want (lots of extra security like features), so I'm on the sidelines a few more months. I recommend checking out the current canary, but waiting for HomeKit if you're an apple house.

In the long run, I've decided that if I truly want cameras for total house, I'll get a Costco hard wired setup most likely. I fell down a rabbits hole regarding cameras, and eventually just pulled out of it.

That's what I'm doing instead of nest cam, I look forward to hearing what you decide!

3. cynics macrumors G4

I've been using the current Canary cameras and with the current app and firmware they have worked exceptionally well. I'd also highly recommend them and waiting for the HomeKit enabled Canary Plus if that is important to you.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight