Looking for some quick advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bjmach, Oct 17, 2008.

1. bjmach macrumors 6502

New to Mac. Never owned one and never used one actually. Make a long story short I planned on buying a brand new macbook. But looked on craigslist and i've been negotioting with this guy who has a black macbook, Intel core duo, 2GB Ram, 180GB, superdrive he says its a late 07 model. Pictures he attached looks mint, spoke to him on the phone and talked him down to $600. young kid who is a DJ says he bought if for that purpose but doesn't like it and is going back to windows and will take the $600. I'm going to get it from him tonight. Knowing the model and specs is this a good deal or should I pass. My gut is telling run don't walk. All of you being experts I could really use your advice.

2. Catonow macrumors regular

Damn. That sounds to me like a great deal. I definitely would try it out a lot before handing over your cash.

I'll never forget how I got scammed once by some guys selling a set of speakers. They said they were high-end speakers (I don't remember the brand, but it was one of the best), and they had to unload them for quick cash. They looked very real, even had a logo. So I bought them for $200 cash (of course, they could only accept cash). Then I brought them home and plugged them in, and they were the tinniest, crappiest speakers ever.

After digging around, I found out that this is a common scam. Con artists buy these really lousy speakers that look nice, slap a new logo on them, and sell them for what sounds like a great bargain, but in reality they still make a huge profit, and you get stuck with crap.

Of course I have no idea if this is what's going on with your seller, but it's just another caveat emptor story. Make sure you put it through all its paces -- open up and try out programs, wi-fi, etc. -- before you finalize. Also, make sure to look at the "About this Mac" under the Apple menu, which will tell you what OS version you have, the processor and memory, etc.

3. bjmach thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks that sounds like a plan Im going to print that out and take it with me lol...to remember what to look at

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you have a friend who has a Mac, ask them to come along. Being familiar with what a Mac, and the System Profiler, etc are supposed to look like, they will be much better qualified to pass judgement. There may still be some hidden problems, but at least the obvious ones will get picked up.

Or, check out the Apple Refurb store. Go to the online Apple store, look for the section on refurbished, or special deals (depends on which country you are in). Apple sells these "as good as new" ie, they come with the same warranty as a new one. Because of the introduction of new models on tuesday, there is good selection right now on the refurb store. You may sleep better knowing you have spent a bit more, but gotten a "good as new" system.

Good Luck

5. bjmach thread starter macrumors 6502

Well turns out the machine was 2.0ghz Core 2 duo, 2GB ram, 180GB, and burns CDs and DVDs etc... Excellent condition was $600....felt a little bit bad because from lurking here I learned that you can run windows on the macbook and the seller showed me his new windows laptop and told me he got it because he needed to run some windows programs and they wouldn't run on his macbook. I didn't have the hear to tell him that he run windows on the macbook.

6. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

7. jTreu macrumors 6502

great deal, my old laptop was the 2.0 C2D blackbook, great machine.

8. bjmach thread starter macrumors 6502

Another quick question. Just found out that this macbook has applecare until March 2010. The owner said he wasn't sure if it had it but I checked on Apple.com inputting the serial number and sure enough it has it. Makes me happy because I feel I got even a better deal buying this for $600 plus a little piece of mind. But how do I transfer the applecare to my name since I don't have the apple care registration number and neither does the guy I bought it from.

Thanks for your time.

9. T-Stex macrumors 6502

AppleCare should just be tied to the serial number, so you should be good to go.

10. borjasanz macrumors newbie

Wow, sounds to me like you got a great deal man, Congratulations and Welcome to the REAL world, the Mac world, where everything JUST WORKS