Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njchava

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm no photographer (i'm web/IT guy), but my job has been giving me some great opportunities to go out and take pictures for our marketing. I have been enjoying the crap out of it.

I work at a renewable energy company, so everything revolves around that and solar.

I'd like to get some tips from you guys about a pretty simple issue I am encountering.

The set-up is I'm taking shots of a newly completed large array on a sports complex type building. Whole system shots. Think this type of shot:
photovoltaic-commercial-PV-array.jpg

I'm not taking aerial shots though, (those will come later)

I'm sitting on a huge construction forklift/lull thing fully extended into the air. (which by the way is scary as crap).

Anyway, sorry about the book of a post. The problem: I feel as if the shots I'm taking are selling the size of the building and array short. The people look like ants effect from a great height type effect? It's a pretty large array, and I just want the picture to say that.

I'd like to ask you guys about some tips on maybe how to frame the picture, or edit it, or anything at all I can do to capture the building/array in their full powerful glory.

I can posts some shots tomorrow at work if that might help.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I think if you show us some of the pictures that you are taking we might get a better indication of what you are looking to improve on.

It might be a case of renting a lens locally so that you can get a different angle or a wider field of view on the area.

Post some images and we will try and help you out!

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I'd like to ask you guys about some tips on maybe how to frame the picture, or edit it, or anything at all I can do to capture the building/array in their full powerful glory.

Do what everyone else does - copy other people.

Very simply, find a picture on the net somewhere that you like that translates to what you want to achieve, and copy it. You'll either be shooting with a kit lens or an ultra wide angle at the end of the day, and most people in their pictures (esp Flickr) will tell you what lens they used.

Don't worry about editing and all that malarky, just copy an angle that you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.