Looking for some wisdom

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Lucas in Alaska, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Lucas in Alaska macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction to where I can read up on getting the best video from the tapes I have. I currently have VHS-C (I know a real old format) and DV from my sony TVR-30. I would like to read up on what format is best to save them in. I am looking to retain the best picture possible. I wish I had time to read through the forums but I just don't have time.

I am currently looking to upgrade to a HD camcorder.

On another note and question, is it possible when recording to DVD you can put a black border around the video so my lesser quality videos would look better on my 1080P lcd tv?

Thanks for all the help

Lucas

2. -DH macrumors 65816

VHS is a fairly low quality analog video format ... VHS-C was/is a tape type, not a video format. It just means that you have VHS recordings on VHS tape contained in a small shell (The 'C' of VHS-C stands for COMPACT).

The DV footage you have from your TVR-30 is digital and won't really be any better if you change to a different format.

You failed to say what you intend to do with the footage. Are you just wanting to archive the footage? Do you want to edit it first? Do you want to put it on Youtube? Put it on DVD? iPod?

If you want to archive or edit, the DV format would be your best bet. Since your TVR-30 footage is already there, you'd only need to convert the VHS-C tapes to DV. The best thing you can do to help analog footage is to run the analog signal through a full-frame TBC when doing the transfer.

DV tape is a pretty good format for storage; you get 13.3gb of storage space per 60 minute tape. It is also a good format for editing. Alternatively, you could capture to a hard drive for storage - just remember you'll need 13.3gb per hour of footage.

If you decide to do something else with the footage, let us know what that is and we'll be able offer a good workflow.

-DH

3. Lucas in Alaska thread starter macrumors newbie

DH,

Thanks for the nice reply. I unfortunately have not been able to purchase a MBP yet due to funds. I would like to however start putting all of my VHS-C and DV tapes on an external hard drive.

My wife has a HP DV6000 computer and Adobe premiere elements 7. I want to know if I can use the HP and Elements 7 to put the tapes on an external HD and then in the future be able to use a MBP to access the files and work on my home movies.

So yes I do want to archive the footage right now. I have prob 60 VHS-C and 60-80DV tapes to archive (mind you not all of them are full). I plan on getting an external hard drive enclosure with two raided 1tb HD. one for backup.

For the VHS-C I plan on running it through my TVR-30 and into the computer.

Any advise or ideas?

Thank you so much

Lucas

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Well, keep in mind that one hour of DV is equal to about 13 GB. I would do a rough estimate before you go out and buy drives. You might end up needing a lot more or less than you thought. I can not tell you because I don't know how full each tape is etc. There's this nifty little device called the eyeTV 250. which is a TV tuner but more importantly can do your job of converting your analog tapes to digital files. It also includes Toast 8 Basic. I think the eyeTV is fairly priced and can get the job done. As long as you have the VHS-C player you just hook this up to the back instead of to the TV and it can convert your files.

Happy New Year,
    David