Looking for somebody to demo Face Time in ASL.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kingsnapped, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm spending the day with a deaf friend of mine, and she really wants to try a sign language conversation over Face Time. She reached out on her facebook, but none of her signing friends seem to have the iPhone 4 yet. Is there anybody here she can try it out with?
  2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2010
    If I knew sign language I would. That apple commercial where the boy/girl are doing it was heart warming!
  3. mrfriggz macrumors member

Feb 23, 2010
    Is it possible to have an ASL conversation using one hand and not fingerspell everything? I am curious how it would actually work without having to prop the phone up.
  4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

May 6, 2010
    New York
    I took a year of ASL in college a few years ago. If I wasn't so rusty, I'd do it. But I'm afraid I'd spend half the time looking in my ASL dictionary. ;)
  5. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2009
    I could spell my name. That's about all I can do in sign language. I hope you find someone!
  6. pintnight macrumors 6502

May 31, 2008
    Check on alldeaf.com. I have a iPhone 4, but I don't know ASL.

Here is one that has a iPhone 4 that know ASL:

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

Jun 20, 2007
    I thought the commercial was very touching, too, but I thought with the way they were holding the device, it was too close for either person to see everything to understand the conversation. I guess they're just trying to get you to understand all the possibilities... FaceTime really can be that awesome sometimes.
  8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes, fluent ASL users can communicate using one hand. They do it all the time while eating, driving, carrying something, etc.

For extended communication, you can stand the naked iPhone 4 on its side unlike the older versions.
  9. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2009
    West Koast
    My signed English is pretty rusty, but if you still need help.... btw, is the first step in obsolesence for the CRS?